Intro/chopper build

Calebjkd

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I finally figured out how to start a thread on here. It was right in front of my face the whole time!!!

First off, my intro. I've been into bikes my whole life and have always wanted to build my own. I remember watching the movie Easyriders for first as a very small child and instantly fell in love with those bikes. I don't think I even realized what the movie was all about until several yrs later. All I cared about was the bikes.

I still love those bikes.

That being said, I got tired of seeing all of the HD choppers and thought I'd try to build something different. Once I found out about this forum I had to check it out and it has been everything I expected it to be.

I found a hardtail frame, motor, front forks, and set of wheels on Craigslist for $400 so I jumped on it. Heres what I got put together so far.
full

full

Heres another pic from the side. I put some 1" drag bars on there just to see what they might look like.
Gonna be shooting for a 70's style chopper look on this bike.

I've got alot of work to do. All comments/criticism is welcome. This is my first build and Im sure that its gonna be a learning experience.

Looks good now...but--If I may?.--To get that real down to Earth '70's thing goin' on ya'll need a couple junkies passing time in the corner, a few hippies figurin' out which direction the world spins, add a couple of bongs, some papers, & a couple of coked out chicks dancin' a jig to the latest POP tunes, plus, hell, ya need some beer cans & a few empties of the favorite wine & whiskey. On top of that ya'll need a couple of gun totin' door bustin' hooligans threatenin' the place & everyone at any time--Hell Yeah! Oh, almost forgot, ya'll need that one weird mofo that is pretty sure they've got it all figured out.

Like that. It makes sense like that.

I was lookin into a springer or girder but since this is a budget build I'm goin for some extended regular forks. Found some that 7" over stock and got em for $75. Couldn't beat that deal!

Finally made a little progress on the bike. Tore the engine down and checked everything. Looks good in there. Almost have it completely put back together, just lack putting the side covers back on. I found an extended front fork and some sweet vintage bars. As soon as they showed up at my house I threw them on the bike. Also, I replaced the ball type bearings in the steering head with the All Balls performance bearings. Had a little trouble at first because I forgot to take out the old bearing races. But, eventually got it figured out thanks to the help of some older threads on here.

Anyway, heres how she sits today. Let me know what y'all think.

full

full

full

Oh yeah, I got a Hughs Handbuilt PMA too. Waiting for time to devote before i try to put that on though. I'll post some pics as soon as its on there.

Buster,
I got them off eBay. Actually most of the parts I have purchased have come from eBay. Pretty much find whatever you need.
Right now I'm looking for spoked wheels. I want a drum front brake. They're high priced so far though.

Xs drum front wheels fetch a pretty high price on ebay, but you may have better luck sourcing one by putting a wanted ad on craigslist. A lower cost solution is to find an old drum brake dirtbike wheel. Most are 21" too, which is nice.

How are they listed? I know I will need 35mm, but are they listed as 7" over, or by total length. I tried doing a search but didn't get very far. I'm very inspired by your build. I really wanted a springer front end, but that looks great. Keep up the pics can't wait to see it finished.

Being from W. Okla, far far away form the "action" on the W. coast.
4-6 inch extended forks were the thing to have in 1970-74.
Along with that K&Q seat that puts her tits in your ears.

Calebjkd good luck with the project!

Buster,
I just did a search for xs650 extended forks.
Had to wait a while to find what wanted.

Spent,
Thanks for the advice. I'll see what I can find.

And another pic with a seat just to see how it sits.
Not using this seat though. Got a vintage pleated leather seat from a buddy that just rebuilt his 78 sportster chopper.
full

Back