Intro/shed find

71butcher

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone FNG here from north central WV!!
I've messed with a little of everything up to now and currently own an 82 fxr HD, 95 1200 sporty, and a scary little rigid cb750 drag/widowmaker project. But am far from a professional I screw up a bunch!!

The guys from the 33 sent me here to maybe get some help on my new xs!!

Here is how I got mine.
got to talking to a creepy old uncle of mine at a funeral about motorcycles. my life is strange yes?

he tells me about the old yamaha 650 he has in his shed. he stopped riding in 91 due to some eye problems. bike hasnt been moved since etc. when he said it was a twin my ears perked up. i rode out to look at it some days later and lo and behold.

a complete 77 xs650!
with 8000 miles on the clock, just broke in.

he told me if i want it to get it out of the shed (its buried) but im on my own. as hes a little crippled up. just as i got it outside he came out of the house with the tittle.

i pulled the air boxes to get at the carbs and sprayed a little either. with a fresh batt and a little kick it coughed. itll run.

some guys have all the luck. a real live barn find!!

Don't know quite what I'm gonna do yet but butchering them is gettin old, might look into a road ready as is rider this summer then maybe starting a resto this fall.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    177.1 KB · Views: 218
Hey everyone FNG here from north central WV!!
I've messed with a little of everything up to now and currently own an 82 fxr HD, 95 1200 sporty, and a scary little rigid cb750 drag/widowmaker project. But am far from a professional I screw up a bunch!!

The guys from the 33 sent me here to maybe get some help on my new xs!!

Here is how I got mine.
got to talking to a creepy old uncle of mine at a funeral about motorcycles. my life is strange yes?

he tells me about the old yamaha 650 he has in his shed. he stopped riding in 91 due to some eye problems. bike hasnt been moved since etc. when he said it was a twin my ears perked up. i rode out to look at it some days later and lo and behold.

a complete 77 xs650!
with 8000 miles on the clock, just broke in.

he told me if i want it to get it out of the shed (its buried) but im on my own. as hes a little crippled up. just as i got it outside he came out of the house with the tittle.

i pulled the air boxes to get at the carbs and sprayed a little either. with a fresh batt and a little kick it coughed. itll run.

some guys have all the luck. a real live barn find!!

Don't know quite what I'm gonna do yet but butchering them is gettin old, might look into a road ready as is rider this summer then maybe starting a resto this fall.

That's a prize find, congratulations and welcome aboard. Keep us posted on it's destiny. Lots of information on here from the guru's (I am not one of them) about what to do with a find like that before you do anything to it or try to start it. Suggest you review it, from what I've read it could save you a lot of aggravation and unnesscessary work.
Yamimoto

the 77 standard is considered by many to be the peak of the XS650 devolpment, nice find...
chop Specials if you must, restore Standards

Last edited:
Welcome to the site. Nice find and your plan to get it running and ride it is a good one. Before starting I would pull the sparkplugs and lube the cylinders. Spray some WD-40 or your favorite penetrating oil in the sparkplug holes. Now time to read and do the maintenance. Change oil clean filters. Valve and cam chain adjust. Clean the carbs is also recommended. That should keep you busy for awhile.

So I've noticed there is a filter under the round cover on the right side bu I've also seen a sump filter for sale? Do I need to change it too? And where can I find like a PDF manual. I found one for my sporty and fxr. Any help would be ... Well helpful!!

Man some guys have all the luck! I think instead of doing anything to it, you should flip it, and sell it to me. I live in Cincinnati, OH, and I am will to drive for it! Seriously nice find, and welcome to the site, these guys will get that bike running like a champ without ever touching it lol!

PDF parts and service manuals are available here .....

http://www.biker.net/

The "sump" filter is located under the engine near the front. It's on a little rectangular oil pan that must be dropped to access it. Both filters are metal screen so you don't replace, just clean and re-use. That bottom sump one is torn many times. Some replace it but many of us simply patch it up using JB Weld .....

SumpFilters.jpg

wow, i cob stuff up a good bit, but that jb weld look sketchy. ha
so i think im going to do a resto mod type deal. seems like stock parts are pretty plentiful if not expensive.

im going to take the steps to get it running. change oil, adjust everything etc. im going to do some research on here to take those steps. and probably recover the seat so the foam dosent get trashed. and ride it a little this summer. and start into it this fall after i see what all the weak spots are this summer.

my wife is wanting to learn to ride so i think this will be her bike.

i think ill start a "build thread" /baby xs steps thread.
oh ive got the carbs soaking they are varnished up tight!!

mmmm George bush sr era gas...

Oh boy here we go.
What are you soaking the carbs in?
Sorry but hint; never soak assembled carbs in anything, EVER. There are very expensive difficult to replace rubber parts in there that CANNOT take soaking in any chemicals.
Please do as you suggested; start a baby steps thread.
What ever you decide to do, post up with a pic or two WAIT until you get a bit of how to or get pointed to the thread that already covers that repair THEN go ahead and do it show pics of the work.
Hint don't pry on the carb pistons, use a hair dryer get them them warm the varnish will soften they will come free.

plain ol kerosene just deep enough to cover the bowls. the slides and stuff are free but the passages in the bowls and the needle valves are frozen.

i do need alot of help, but this aint my first rodeo. haha.
ill start a baby steps thread tonight.

That sounds a lot better, whoosh. Sorry, there are a lot of first rodeo guys that show up here and preventing further damage was my only intent. Carry on!
Reread your first post, duh, and now have a better feel for your obvious abilities.

Yes, we all hate the dreaded P.O.s but many of the new guys do just as much damage because they lack skills and knowledge. The skill can be acquired and the knowledge is here. But many can't be bothered and just jump in. Too much work I guess, lol.

The filter repair is a proven "fix". I've been running them for 7 or 8 years no problems. When you get tired of paying $30 a pop for a replacement (that blows out too), you'll be patching them too, lol.

There are quite a few "filter fixes" all seem to do the job. I put shields even on brand new filters. Search on here for sump filter.

Back