Intro

Herper

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Greetings to All the Fine Folks at XS650.com,

I've been browsing and gleaning extremely helpful information from this site for many months now and figured it's time to introduce myself. I'm Ed from MA. Began riding two wheels on the street in 1967, some off-road before that. Had an itch for an XS650 when they first came out but was newly married and in the service at the time barely making enough to survive. Just one of those things that got lost by the wayside. By chance, heard of a guy who lives a few streets over was selling a couple XS's. So, at 62, I finally got my chance, and having never fully re-built a bike, figured what the hell, we'll give it a shot. I've been documenting my progress w/write-up and photos which you can view here if you have a notion... http://herper.zenfolio.com/my-xs650-build

Thanks to all who contribute to this site.
Ed (Herper)

p.s. Hope that link works...doesn't look right in the 'preview'.

Welcome Ed, Nice build you've got going there. Meticulous is the word that comes to mind. I'll be following this with interest.

roy

Thanks for the welcome, Roy. I'm not sure about meticulous, but I do work in millionths of an inch at work so sometimes I get a little carried away. <g>

Ed

Now that's what I call attention to detail..................I see a really fine bike in your future. :thumbsup:

Thank you RG. Just wish I did this when I was younger...when I could remember where all parts go. ;o) Noticed your 17/33 gearing. I just received a new 17, been wondering what to go with for the rear.

Welcome Ed and Wow!!! Great job and nice layout of your blog. Really looking forward to following this project. I was unaware that the engine could be powdered.

Thank you RG. Just wish I did this when I was younger...when I could remember where all parts go. ;o) Noticed your 17/33 gearing. I just received a new 17, been wondering what to go with for the rear.

My bike came to me wth a 17/36 gearing. That was the stock gearing here in Canada. I used it that way for one season. The 36 rear gives real snappy acceleration. If you want to race from one red light to the next red light, that's the one to pick. However, the 36 puts your rpms up around 4200 when on the expressway. Real fun gearing for around town use.

Some like to use a 30 on the rear, as it keeps the rpms lower at around 3600, when at 100 km/hr (62 mph). Obviously you will lose the quick acceleration (some will disagree).

I went with the 33 because its a compromise. Works great around town, and also good at 100 km/hr.

Welcome Ed and Wow!!! Great job and nice layout of your blog. Really looking forward to following this project. I was unaware that the engine could be powdered.

Thanks for the welcome h3llb3nt1. Just to clarify, the main engine components will be done with VHT high temp engine paint (enamel I believe). I wouldn't want to subject the aluminum to 400 degrees although i may try powder coating the valve adjustment covers to get the color I'm after. I've also found some clearcoat powder that cures at 350 degrees which I may try on the side covers but haven't really decided yet.

Ed

My bike came to me wth a 17/36 gearing. That was the stock gearing here in Canada. I used it that way for one season. The 36 rear gives real snappy acceleration. If you want to race from one red light to the next red light, that's the one to pick. However, the 36 puts your rpms up around 4200 when on the expressway. Real fun gearing for around town use.

Some like to use a 30 on the rear, as it keeps the rpms lower at around 3600, when at 100 km/hr (62 mph). Obviously you will lose the quick acceleration (some will disagree).

I went with the 33 because its a compromise. Works great around town, and also good at 100 km/hr.

Thank you for the clarification. I like compromises, and the 33 sounds good for the type of riding I do.

Back