Introduction & need suggestions with engine noise

Earz

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hey all, been around for a while just never intro'd myself.

Bought a '79 Special from a shop I used to work for. Not running, wiring a mess, needed carb work, had starter issues, etc.

Progress has been pretty slow with working full time, going to school, occasional part time projects for my old boss, etc. I finally got the thing running after carb clean and finding that a PO had stripped/broken a carb bowl screw and tried to go oversize. The threads they cut couldn't hold well enough to get the bowl tight, so it leaked at the gasket surface when on the side stand. Traded some parts for a new left carb body and got the carbs back together. New plugs, valve adjustment, cleaned the air filters and she lives. I installed a pamco ignition with a stock 80+ coil. Running a permanent magnet charging system with flywheel and backing plate from a banshee, stator from a VF500 and a reg/rect from a 920 Virago. Started from scratch with the wiring. Still haven't finished the harness yet, but have enough done to start/tune it. I eliminated the battery and am using a capacitor. It's kick only. I'll be removing the starter motor as soon as I get a blockoff plate made.

I got a '78 standard parts bike for FREE from a guy that I used to work with. Not sure what was originally wrong with it, but it had been sitting in a field for who knows how long without any spark plugs or carbs installed. Needless to say the engine is f**ked. It did have a 2-1 exhaust so I swapped that over, but not sure if I like the sound. It may grow on me.

I got it fired up today since it has been sitting for a while. It has a squeeking noise coming from the topend somewhere. I'm 98% sure it's not a vacuum leak because it runs too good to have a leak. I thought I might be the advance rod, so I pulled it out and cleaned it off. I put a very light coatingn of grease on it a while back, but it's still doing it. Should the advance rod be dry? what else can I check for?

Here's a video of it running:

Posted via Mobile

Sweet, gonna have to try the choke body thing. I had actually posted in that thread earlier, but I thought my problem was gone. Thanks.

Posted via Mobile

Back