Introduction & Thanks

Bushings 2.0

I didn’t have the patience to order a set of sleeves, so I took a page out of Machine’s book and attempted to turn down an existing shock bushing.

My original XS650 shocks are misplaced, but I did have a clapped out set off the Commando kicking around.

5B2DB9FC-5A4B-4A74-827C-572912538E87.jpeg

For being almost 50 years old, the bushings pressed out easily.

The Norton steel sleeve had to be bored out ever so slightly to accept the Yamaha lower shock bolt.

Then back in the drill press jig.

1750DC3C-6149-48A9-BC2E-8EE98757AD8B.jpeg

The files I used for the bronze bushings didn’t work well on the rubber.

I could remove material, but it was painfully slow.

Instead, I resorted to small strips of 80 grit sandpaper.

It was still slow going, but much easier to control material removal and achieve a uniform finish (boy do I need a lathe).

A digital caliper is also your friend for this task. Sand, check the dims, repeat.

It’s hard to see in the pic, but there is the thinnest layer of rubber remaining on the steel bush.

940EE7EC-7110-4B85-A1FB-BF556F946DE9.jpeg

Success with a nice tight interference/ press fit!

6D34521C-9CBE-435C-8E63-FE43B0065E76.jpeg

A little clean up with the Dremel and it will be good to install.

Now I just need to turn down a matching one for the other shock.

Nicely done!
Before I got my lathe, I spent years using my drill press like you did. Back yard wrenching at it's finest.
thumbsup.gif

Bushings 2.0

I didn’t have the patience to order a set of sleeves, so I took a page out of Machine’s book and attempted to turn down an existing shock bushing.

My original XS650 shocks are misplaced, but I did have a clapped out set off the Commando kicking around.

View attachment 192449

For being almost 50 years old, the bushings pressed out easily.

The Norton steel sleeve had to be bored out ever so slightly to accept the Yamaha lower shock bolt.

Then back in the drill press jig.

View attachment 192450

The files I used for the bronze bushings didn’t work well on the rubber.

I could remove material, but it was painfully slow.

Instead, I resorted to small strips of 80 grit sandpaper.

It was still slow going, but much easier to control material removal and achieve a uniform finish (boy do I need a lathe).

A digital caliper is also your friend for this task. Sand, check the dims, repeat.

It’s hard to see in the pic, but there is the thinnest layer of rubber remaining on the steel bush.

View attachment 192451

Success with a nice tight interference/ press fit!

View attachment 192452

A little clean up with the Dremel and it will be good to install.

Now I just need to turn down a matching one for the other shock.

Hi SEd,
rubber is easiest worked on if it's just come out of a deepfreeze.

Well, I finally found some time to turn the other bushing and get the shocks mocked up.

Due to the frame powder coat thickness, the top eyelet bushes needed minor filing to mount. No additional additional sleeves required.

2EE0CCEB-AAD9-48A0-9793-66A8930CE81C.jpeg

68F3D7AC-517B-4530-B5F6-4FD9DAC4B34C.jpeg

The left side unit fouled ever so slightly on the chain guard. I was in the process of marking to trim/ bend for clearance when I discovered this:

E92D8BD3-3770-41C0-86C2-4ACFFDADFC00.jpeg

7C52244A-CF70-4D34-8B97-34E4CDF9809E.jpeg

Time for a new chain guard. I may have to look into a rubber mounting solution at the sprocket end. Maybe something can be cobbled together to keep the original going until a replacement can be ordered.

MikesXS and XS650Direct only seem to stock the chrome version (which I will need to get powder coated). Most of the chain guards on eBay right now look to be pretty beat up.

Overall the fit/ finish is superb and the taller shocks really serve to level out the stance. I am now one step closer to being able to play with the correct rear sag.

The only additional fettling will likely be the install of a chain slider to protect the swing arm at the pivot end. As well, because of the increased height, some mods to the centre and side stand feet may be required to make practical again.

Back