Introduction & Thanks

That’s some very nice work, I think your dashboard/ windshield combo is nicely done. Love the Brembo brake upgrade…..all good stuff!

That’s some very nice work, I think your dashboard/ windshield combo is nicely done. Love the Brembo brake upgrade…..all good stuff!

Thanks for the kind words. The dash took a while to get everything laid out and cut. It’s actually version 3.0 and I have since tightened up the finish gaps around guages.

The Brembo is nice. I now have modulation. The old stock disc and caliper was more on/ off in terms of feel and not much in between.

A very well equipped XS !
Is it trust worthy for trips?
Awesome styling! :cool:

Yes, took it for its first longish tour last summer (approx. 700kms round trip) and it ran and handled like a champ.

My only minor complaint was with all the camping gear loaded, the rear shocks weren’t really up to snuff (they are just cheap MikesXS units).

I’ve been inspired by you late model triumph shock upgrades over the years and just recently found a mint pair of takeoffs that don’t look as though they were ever on a bike.

Last edited:
I’ve been inspired by you late model triumph shock upgrades over the years and just recently found a mint pair of takeoffs that don’t look as though they were ever on a bike
Which did you find? Great.. on my 79 solo Streeter with the 2017 340mm Street Twin shocks, I'm setting them fully soft and that matches a healthy stock XS 35mm front set up.

Prob the exact shocks. Good work.
Are you needing to manufacture the top "adapter bushings" ?
View attachment 191907

Truthfully I haven’t got that far yet. Have some spare shock bushings stored away somewhere. Worse comes to worse I press the old ones out and figure out a way turn them down.

94EE534D-7E8C-42C9-A9CE-DB56F6678D45.jpeg

How much clearance is there between the caliper and the spokes?

That's a really lovely bike. Nice job!

There’s not much clearance. I had the file the back side of the caliper to clear the the spokes.

90B430B8-3953-403B-8320-79A89A1610CB.jpeg

3DAE281B-4A55-4790-8152-C45AE176595C.jpeg

I also made the mistake of not dry fitting the caliper w/ bracket to check for clearance before painting (nothing is ever a true bolt on).

The result was painting the caliper twice (well actually x3 times because I didn’t prep properly).

In fact, I wouldn’t really recommend painting these calipers if you can get away it. They are really finicky.

Last edited:
I pulled off one of the old shocks in anticipation of using the old bushings.

Turns out the weren’t any. For some reason I mounted them with just the rubber mounts (can’t recall why).

So I got ambitious and thought I would try to make some of my own for the lower triumph shock mount.

With no lathe I had to improvise.

I picked up some off the shelf 3/8” x 5/8” bronze bushings and built a holder for the drill press.

A91A2EF4-DCD2-4E67-B8F6-F5E5A8534814.jpeg

Last edited:
Two hours of carefully filing the bushings while being spun in the drill press.

B2A3715D-DE26-4E6C-93E1-E00CC8328EE5.jpeg

34704CCB-D86A-4557-A3D9-002F468F199D.jpeg

When I went to cut to length and they completely disintegrated.

Definitely the wrong choice of material.
2D86BC3C-CE6E-4CCB-B4FC-224B04B49C53.jpeg

I am going to pick up some polyethylene and acetal rod this week and start over again.

Last edited:
Yep, that's exactly what I needed. I'm hoping it won't be too difficult to sand a MM off these. It's actually only a half MM all the way around.

Back