Is a 73 750 twin desirable

CalsXS2

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
I have a chance to trade for a 73 750 twin that has been sitting for who knows how long. The last time it was plated was in the mid 80's. I'm assuming it was stored out of the weather because it's not all rusty.

All I know at this point in time is that it doesn't run, but will kick over. The guy says it's complete. All I have seen so far is a cell phone pic. It doesn't look too bad at all. Paint looks good in the pic. But we all know how that goes. :rolleyes:

I would be trading for a Remington 1100 that I have $400 in. I hate to get rid of this really nice gun, but I just might do it. I'm not sure what I would do with it yet. Either get it going and keep it, or sell it to fund my XS2 project. Who knows. Maybe I'll sell the XS2 to fund this. :D

Out of the 2 bike's, which would you guy's rather have. The XS2 that I have completly torn down for a full resto, or the 73 that probably needs a full resto. Well I guess that yet to be determined.

Someone will surely correct me if I'm wrong but I remember those having a bad rep. I think it was a one year only failure that was quickly replaced by the 750 triple?

IIRC, the 750 Twin is a completely different animal from the XS650. More like a big brother to the TX500. Not a hugely popular bike.

OTOH, swapping for the 1100 is certainly a reasonable deal if you're interested in the bike. That assumes that there are no title issues.

T'was me, I'd be more interested in the XS2, but different strokes for different folks.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy a TX750. For parts.
Trade any XS for 1, nebber ebber.
If you do and need parts(think engine lubrication) pm me. Maybe i can help.

The '73 750 is the bad one. They had engine oiling problems and lunched the crank by usually about 5K. Yamaha fixed the problem for the '74 model but it was too late, the bike's reputation had already been ruined. The swingarm and wheels swap right onto the '74 and later 650s. Nice parts but not $400 worth in my opinion. The rest of the bike wouldn't be of much use to you.

The '73 750 is the bad one. They had engine oiling problems and lunched the crank by usually about 5K. Yamaha fixed the problem for the '74 model but it was too late, the bike's reputation had already been ruined. The swingarm and wheels swap right onto the '74 and later 650s. Nice parts but not $400 worth in my opinion. The rest of the bike wouldn't be of much use to you.

The TX750 is a beautiful disaster. The engine was designed with no way to adjust the cam chain and more leaks than a BSA. Yamaha sent out a "kit" to the dealers with a cam chain adjuster and other goodies and recalled all of the first year models. The second (and last) year model had a cam-chain adjuster but still leaked oil (at the head mostly).

They were very slow by the standards of the day and a total failure on the show room floor.

I think of this bike as the Yamabortion.

All right. Here's where I'm at with this thing.

I wouldn't sell my shotgun for $400 because I like it too much, and I really don't want to get rid of it. I couldn't replace a super nice 1976 Remington 1100 for that price. I wouldn't sell it for $400 just to buy motorcycle part's either. I'm not in that big of a hurry on the XS2.

But. If I could get that 750 going and sell it for say $600-$800,,or how ever much,,,I would do the trade. I guess the question is what would the 750 be worth in running condition, ,,assuming the paint is half way decent. What would you guys value it at. I know. Kinda hard to tell with out knowing the condition. :laugh:

BTW. The 750 has just under 5K on it. Hmmm. I always get nervous about buying a bike when the seller say's I was going to do a Cafe build on it, but changed my mind.

Knowing my intention's, would you guy's do the trade, or pass. Thanks.

Even if you got it running perfectly, you couldn't pay someone to take it. Anybody that's been around motorcycles more than a few years already knows this POS. It was a massive failure by Yamaha. I was close friends with the owner of our local Yamaha dealership when this thing came out. Most of them self destructed without warning. The swing arm, wheels and maybe the tank are the only usable parts.

The tank isn't a swap without work. The clutch pack, valves, springs.
The carbs are workable. The cool factor of the hidden wire bars and
dual throttle cables. The M/C and caliper work for swapping on the early models with the two piece rotors. Not a total loss, good parts. Just not a good bike.

Go the other way. Run hard. Run fast............

I was a Yamaha parts manager back then. You couldn't pay me to take one......and I am dedicated to Yamaha.

I've seen two that were rebuilt, honed cylinders, carbs done, builder put oil filter adapters on them, bobbed rear fender, clubmans, late model m/c, martini shaker exaust. The major problem with the '73 TX was that oil in the sump area foamed and could not get to the crank and cams for proper lubrication. plenty of good parts on that bike, could still be a runner, rare bird. Be interested in the akront rims and rear drum.

Back