Is anyone rocking a "side bag" like this one?

CoconutPete

1979 XS650 Special
Reaction score
The left side of my bike has a smooth cover mounted to the stock battery box. I went for the "narrow" look with this bike.
The right cover has a fuse panel plus a relay there, so I can't go with a completely smooth cover there unless I move it out a pinch.
The other option I was considering was a small leather bag mounted to the frame to hold my tool roll. That way I don't have to bungee it to the back or rock a backpack for every little ride.

I stumbled upon this:
https://www.omegaracer.com/parts_store/prod_3901492-The-Sports-Custom-Leather-Side-Bag.html

Has anyone fitted anything like this to their bikes?

The closest thing I have found are "swing arm bags" which appear to be meant to mount right in front of the rear wheel, but the shape should allow for it to fit in the spot where the side cover once lived also.

I was skeptical at first, but that bag does look right at home there. The shape and size of it makes it look like it belongs there, instead of a regular shaped tool bag that would look REALLY out of place there.

My sister and brother-in-law went shopping for saddle bags, instead they bought about six small tool bags and strapped them all over the bike. Those bags soon disappeared and became a "never mention this again" topic.

Scott

Last edited:
Except for the price - I like it. It sure looks like a nicely made item.

I found a similar (but likely not so high quality) leather bag at Princess Auto (CDN version of Harbour Fright) ....but it only cost about $12.95. For the price, I couldn’t resist and I’m still undecided, but I think that I will mount it on my cafe bike - behind the sidecover on the RH side (basically above the rear foot peg mounts).

I could be wrong, but I think that RobinC has a similar bag on his 77D - mounted below the headlight.

Last edited:
Maxpete or Robinc any pics of this bag? I am looking to put one on my bag but havent seen anything of interest. Would be nice to take a look. JC

Maxpete or Robinc any pics of this bag? I am looking to put one on my bag but havent seen anything of interest. Would be nice to take a look. JC

Hi SJ: I’m away from home right now but perhaps Robin could post a picture of his.

Pete

Maxpete or Robinc any pics of this bag?

Hey JC, deleted a bunch of pics from my phone yesterday, but here's the one pic that I do have.
Got it at a different place but I think it's the same one Pete got at Princess Auto. PM me if you want any other pics from a different angle and I'll send them when I get home.

IMG_20180603_170026.jpg

I had pinged him a while ago about a custom battery box via email and PM here. Never heard anything. Not sure if he is just extremely busy or what.
Not sure he gets on here much anymore. Just going off Instagram it seems yes he’s super busy doing custom work. Speaking of IG, his phone number is on his page to get into contact with him.

Back