is oil coming out of breather normal

sparky01

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
new guy here got a 1981 sx650 bobber and the breather is vented with a tube and is makes a mess. the baffle is in place and i checked compression "hot" 95 ,90 no smoke and it runs very good . is a puke tank an option thanks

is it a mist, or straight up oil comming out? that is verry low comp. even though it runs good, and the difference in the two compression readings are close, you may neeed new rings.
did you have the throttle wide open with engine NOT running when you checked comp?
if you do need new rings, you have to take the pistons out to see what size they are, then get them mic'd and honed, or you can buy a kit that does all that sht for you, then all you have to do is make sure your new rings are in spec, and put it together.
These engines are easy. I bought my 650 with a holed piston, and just bought a 1.50 over kit, and it runs like a top. First engine i ever rebiult.

When you check compression you need to hold the throttle wide open, that might get your compression readings a bit higher. A hot cpmpression of 95 psi is very low. 'If thats from bad rings then the blowby will over pressurize the crank case, pushing more oil out the breather.
Too high an oil level wqill blow more oil out the breather.
With the bike standing straight up the level should be half way between the marks, at the top mark is too much.
Leo

its oil but it may be a mist but adds up at the end of the 1 1/2 tub and i did not have the throttle wide open do's that make a difference? the oil is at the top mark

Yes, holding the throttle open makes a difference, try it and see. A sound engine, warmed up should have around 145+ psi, no more than 10% between sides.
At the top mark is too much. After a few miles the level will drop to half way between the marks and probably stop blowing out and stay half way between the marks.
Leo

Some of these bikes don't like being 100% full of oil. If I fill mine all the way to the top mark I'm constantly adding oil and everything is a mess but if I run it 1/2 way between marks it maintains that level until the next oil change.

Experiment... And if that doesn't solve it then think rebuild.

can you spin the motor fast enough with the kick start to get an accurate comp. #

I bought a parts bike for the motor recently. Wasn't running, kick only, 125 out of each side after about 5 kicks...

At first I didn't get a good reading cause I didn't have it screwed in far enough to get a good pressure seal. A little tighter and I was good to go.

i guess it is OK must have to much oil in it i pulled the hose off as it was running and you can feel the motor pumping air out

Last edited:
Back