Is the brake hose manifold required on a single front disk setup?

77xs650

XS650 Member
Reaction score
About 15 years ago the front caliper locked up on my fathers 1977 XS650D, he took the caliper off to get it fixed and long story short he never got it fixed and never got it back.

I've recently ordered a used caliper off of ebay and I need to connect the old master-cylinder (if it is salvageable) back to the caliper. I'm ordering new brake lines but I see it was connected to a "brake hose manifold" as I see it called on Mikexs, what is the purpose of this piece and what would be the problem with me running a line straight from the master-cylinder directly to the caliper? It is a stock single caliper setup and from what I see the manifold is used to distribute the fluid between two calipers, something this bike never had.

Here is a link to the part that looks almost identical to what is currently on the bike.

http://www.mikesxs.net/products-70.html#products

Thanks guys

Thats what I thought, I was just making sure it didn't have some random purpose that I could not think of. Thanks for the quick response Patches.

Is there a general standard size for the ends of brake lines or do I need to look for something specific to fit the stock master-cylinder and caliper? I've never bought brake lines for a bike before so I'm a little lost as in what exactly I need to make it work.

Some early model has the brake light switch in that little joiner pipe you're talking about, I just learned the other day.

Mike's has braided stainless lines that come with the fittings you need. The fittings can be rotated so the line lays straight. The only thing you need are the banjo bolts and sealing washers. One bolt and two washers for each end of the line.
Leo

I noticed today the clear vinyl on my Mike's lines is cracking badly, after about 6 mos. use. 650central sells one that I'll bet you is better. 2x the price and banjos sold separately.

MikesXS also has a combined banjo bolt / brake light switch that can be used in place of the hydraulic switch found on some early bikes, or with any master cylinder that does not have a built in brake light switch.

29-7002.jpg

Part #29-7002 $11

The banjo bolt switch was the easiest way to get a brake switch on my 75 when I put a disc brake on the rear. You can use them any where a banjo bolt fits, on the master cylinder is the best place.
I have noticed the discoloration of clear cover on the Mike's lines. The cover starts to crack after a couple years too.
They sell heat shrink tubing on a roll. I thought of getting some to cover the lines. This will protect the cover from further damage. It comes in many colors too. I would use the black.
Leo

Back