"what dont kill me makes me stronger"
Reaction score
xs650 side.jpg
xs650 front.jpg
1979 guages.jpg
xs650 1980 parts bike.jpg
1980 xs650 rear.jpg
misc 1980 parts.jpg
guy wants $650...has 16k miles...no battery,,,but he says he has started it with a battery charger/jumper and it runs fine....has had carbs cleaned/points and valves and cam chain adjusted/fresh oil...says doesnt leak a drop and all lights and guages work....and for another $100 hed throw in the 1980 parts bike pictured(looks like junk to me but maybe its worth the $100 more)....other than the dent in tank and missing one side cover is this something i could ride without putting too much into.....and if i didnt get a good one could i resale it and recoup most of my money

...my other choice was a 1982 virago with 12k miles(i heard they had starter problems)

...any help appreciated..im 61 and disabled and can do some easy repairs to bikes(once replaced a cluch rod seal on a shadow with ease)....ive only got about $800 to spend and trying to find something me and my wife can tool around on and get a fun riding experience and thought maybe this xs650.

thank you for any help and advice.....my 61 year old brains getting fuzzy and i figured you old timers with xs650 experience would be my best resource.....im not rich but not crying poor mouth :) ...just dont want to end up with a bad purchase,thx again,tom

Last edited:
To me, yes it would be worth it, including the extra hundred for the parts bike - but I know how to fix these, lol. The "good" one appears to be a '79 Special II, a rather rare version of these bikes. It was the only Special to come with alloy spoked wheels. That would be a big draw for me.

All these bikes need some work. Don't expect to just hop on the thing and ride off into the sunset. You'll need to go through the electrics and clean all the connections, go through the brakes and clean them all out, probably replace the front brake line. None of this is really that hard to do, and it's all covered here somewhere.

thx...that reassuring news.....u made me laugh!(Don't expect to just hop on the thing and ride off into the sunset)....i figured its gonna need gone over....i read somewhere some of these engines made it to 100k miles....im sure not my luck....but im so tired of all the bikes with the vtwin look....i wanted something nostalgic....thank you again for the info...i think im gonna take a chance

thx..yes....im gonna grab them..ya,ill check if the other is froze up.....maybe ill learn enough and start a new hobby of buying and selling them....although knowing me they will each become my children and i wont wanna part with them....just wishful thinking....my funds are low and spending the $750 plus whatever else i need is gonna hurt....

One thing - if the good one runs - why don't you just connect it your car w. battery cables and start it up?

If it really does run and the tit.e is clear then yup, I would say that it is worth it the money and the second bike for $100 is a deal too.

Pete

16 thousand on the clock but look at the redline in the tach.....still red! lol. It appears that she has been kept covered over the years. Most of those red lines are faded from being left out in the sun.
That parts bike....IF it has a rear drum brake as opposed to disc.....hard to tell from the pic......you could swap spokes for mags.
If I was looking to buy I'd go for it. Like 5twins says on the year and model it's rare, and being rare consider keeping it stockish.
Titled frame-$250
Drum mags? $200
One year aluminum rims?$200........ See where I'm going?
Welcome aboard and good luck!

thx for the reply pete,...ya ...3 approvals from you kind guys is good enough for me :)....if time has taught me anything its to ask questions from experienced people....thx again

16 thousand on the clock but look at the redline in the tach.....still red! lol. It appears that she has been kept covered over the years. Most of those red lines are faded from being left out in the sun.
That parts bike....IF it has a rear drum brake as opposed to disc.....hard to tell from the pic......you could swap spokes for mags.
If I was looking to buy I'd go for it. Like 5twins says on the year and model it's rare, and being rare consider keeping it stockish.
Titled frame-$250
Drum mags? $200
One year aluminum rims?$200........ See where I'm going?
Welcome aboard and good luck!
thanks!...all good info when your new to xs650's.....seems like i cant go too wrong,,,,thx again!

Well I guess I'll throw the wet rag on the fire. Hand you have mentioned limited funds . . twice. It might take another $1-500 to get that bike rideable.
Is it a good deal? Yes. Would I buy it? Yes. I guess I want to re-iterate 5twins point. It may take more than just elbow grease and common sense. That being said if it has problems this forum will help you find the easiest and most times economical way to get it running. When, not if, you run into a problem ASK and wait for several responses. The best answer for you might not be the first to come along. Best Luck to ya.

Used motorcycles or used cars/trucks.........................I wouldn't believe anything the seller tells you. You may have hit upon that one in ten that is totally honest, and can believe his words. If the sellers says it was running well, then take a battery or jumper from a car, and start it up................that's the only way to know the real value of the bike. He says the carbs are clean, so it should start easily. $650 is a good price for you, if what he says is true.

Be aware that the tires are likely beyond their expired date. The date code is on the side of the tires.

Well I guess I'll throw the wet rag on the fire. Hand you have mentioned limited funds . . twice. It might take another $1-500 to get that bike rideable.
Is it a good deal? Yes. Would I buy it? Yes. I guess I want to re-iterate 5twins point. It may take more than just elbow grease and common sense. That being said if it has problems this forum will help you find the easiest and most times economical way to get it running. When, not if, you run into a problem ASK and wait for several responses. The best answer for you might not be the first to come along. Best Luck to ya.
i hear ya.....i guess maybe my thoughts are ...
..ill check the compression and then ask to have it fired up...
......go thru the gears....check for play in the swing arm....check brakes and guages....do the stator screwdriver and wrench test and put a volt meter on the battery terminals...guess worst senerio i sell it and get most my money back and buy something more newer and reliable like a honda shadow(yuk...i cant believe im even thinking that).....
if i buy it ill rewire the whole bike....i have a ton of wire and connectors and a 2 years of electronics schooling which i really dont remember much....but enough to do a rewire i think....then ill read more here and work out the bugs....
....i remember buying that 86 shadow i sold...i replaced a water pump/a clutch seal and thermostat for $50 and alotta work....bought that bike for $500...sold it for $1300 the other day....got $800 left after using some......so.....im looking for a hobby/maybe fix up and sell adventure....like i said if it all goes south i guess i could sell it and get most my money back ...but i got my heart on a xs650

......just found a 74 tx650 for $1600....18k miles motor rebuilt/electronics redone....but rusty tank inside and gummed up carbs...been sitting in a garage for 3 years.....but its over my budget
1974.jpg

Used motorcycles or used cars/trucks.........................I wouldn't believe anything the seller tells you. You may have hit upon that one in ten that is totally honest, and can believe his words. If the sellers says it was running well, then take a battery or jumper from a car, and start it up................that's the only way to know the real value of the bike. He says the carbs are clean, so it should start easily. $650 is a good price for you, if what he says is true.

Be aware that the tires are likely beyond their expired date. The date code is on the side of the tires.
thx..i will

You mentioned an 82 Virago. I've had two. They have one of the best clutches in motorcycling, ever. Vibration is a non issue, handling is good, torque is wonderful. Starting system was designed by morons. This is not a problem if you can get it tuned to start quickly hot or cold. This is doable, but few can really handle those Hitachi carbs. They aren't complicated, just a bit different. Holler at me for some tips if you go there, but really an 83 or newer is best.

I am with Retired Gentleman and Weekendrider, and your plan to get it started before buying. I encounter a GREAT deal of BS when looking at seller's bikes. I might offer him $300.

The '74 TX looks more inviting......but motor "rebuilt" ? Have him show you the receipts for the build. Interesting how these receipts so often get "lost". Offer him $1300 ?

The bike is fair money as is. If you/he can get it started then it's a good deal. The parts bike is easy worth $100. For me, that'd be dandy. If that's all the money you have, I'd say no. By the time you've got new tires, tubes, find you need to rebuild the petcocks and carbs, ooops, need new fork seals too. Don't forget the chain....gotta have new sprockets with that.

To many things on an OLD bike that may need to be replaced.

Honestly, if you're spending your last $700 or $800 in the world on an old used motorcycle, maybe you should reassess your priorities in life, lol. It's going to take a few hundred more, at least, to fix this thing up. I know, most of us here like to be thrifty, but we realize that $200 "deal" will become at least a $1000 completed project.

I will openly admit that I'm "cheap". That's one of the main reasons I like this bike so much. It can be renovated and fixed up without spending an arm and a leg. But still, you will need to spend maybe a part of an arm, lol. Nothing is free in this life, but if you gotta spend it, this is much better than paying the gas bill or your taxes. Yes, I realize those must be paid, but I don't have to like it, lol.

But it's true RG. You really can't own one of these without spending a little money on it. But, it doesn't need to be much if you do the work yourself. Still, I encounter this all the time with most of the local guys I help out. It's like pulling teeth to get them to do little needed stuff like change the handlebars or put in tapered steering bearings. Obviously, I need to start hanging with a higher class of people, lol. These flat broke drunken bums are trying my patience, lol.

Back