its Electric???

roadstar06

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
hey guys, can you run both a battery and a capacitor? motor is kick only start-hhb pma-ignition--picked up a very small 12v gel battery from walmart thinking I could just use it to run lights 9head,tail,speedo) and any other acc. I decide to put on.

If set up to only run lights, I don't see why not. People who have big ass monster stereo's in their low riders run separate battery systems just for that BASE baby.

As pointed out in other threads, those little batteries are not very good. Mine died all the time and I had to have extra switches to turn everything off to start the bike. (Stock charging though) Those little things cant take the output sometimes and will melt. I think someone pointed out recently that they can only take 13v and the bike charges at 14.5v Not a good combo.
If your PMA is charging the battery, and it is used to run lights, speedo, signals ext, then what is the purpose of the capacitor? Seems like a lot of extra wiring.

that's why I'm asking ?? my thought was to wire them together?? I read that cap. only can only run head & tail light and you get a flicker at idle? wanted to take strain off cap. not an electrician or mechanic. So your saying cap can handle 14.5 v and the battery can't? how is that possible when there's a constant draw on battery?

Last edited:
If you have a battery, then dont use a capacitor.

But make sure you have a good battery. Bad batteries that cant handle the charge will melt and can destroy components.

you guys have valid points which I appreciate BUT, my question is can I run them both wired in sync off the pma? or will it cook something? I emailed hhb this morning but I didnt get answer yet

First, it makes absolutely no sense, to me, to have both a capacitor and a battery.
Did you talk to someone who does this or is this just an idea?
Use one or the other. Want a dirt bike with flickering headlights, use a capacitor.
Want to have lights and shit, use a battery.
Just make sure you have a good battery so the charging systems doesn't fry it or doesn't charge it.

First, it makes absolutely no sense, to me, to have both a capacitor and a battery.
Did you talk to someone who does this or is this just an idea?
Use one or the other. Want a dirt bike with flickering headlights, use a capacitor.
Want to have lights and shit, use a battery.
Just make sure you have a good battery so the charging systems doesn't fry it or doesn't charge it.
yes just an idea! guess I'm out the money for the cap then and will have to buy a real battery. thanks for your insight. maybe I'll mount the cap and use it for dead battery situation (been there),lol..I like options

roadstar06 the answer you are looking for is YES. You can run both the battery & Capacitor. The capacitor will act as a filter for the "Flicker factor" and keep your DC voltage on a straight line without ripple. On the plus side if your battery does draw down (inactivity, small capacity) the cap will quickly charge with the PMA/kickstart, and the bike will start where with a week battery it might not. In other words, no need for a trickle charger. In any case, it won't hurt the system.

Back