I've embarked on another anti-shackwhacky project - wanna see?

https://appleton.craigslist.org/grd/d/weyauwega-oliver-70/7422157009.html
1941 Oliver 70 RowCrop
6 spd. With aftermarket power steering. Does have factory dual exhaust.
Motor is loose. Don't Run.
$750 obo
Interested call
00R0R_hzM1wmjdgA2z_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg

manure.jpg

For 2M. Old picture from the beginnings of the diorama. Fully detailed and hauled with a Farmall now.

fence4.jpg

fence3.jpg

Building fence today. LOTS of fun in 1:64. Posts are bamboo kebob skewers, wire is black thread. The theory is that once it's all set up and painted/weathered, I'll take it off the jig and use the jig to mark holes in the diorama then glue it in place. Some sag between posts is good, it's meant to be an old unused fence the farmer has been too busy/lazy to remove. There'll be lots of weeds and brush growing up through it.

I don't want to comment out of turn or overstate the obvious, but I think yellow tracks just won't work in the dirt. Maybe I'm just too accustomed to rusted tracks.

Good thing it's so far away...
It's what only about 1,200 miles give or take? Syracuse is about half way so you could stop here for the night. Have Spiderman sheets for the bed in spare room! I'm sure grandson would not mind if you used them!

Plus if it has compression we might be able to get it running while you're here!

newwoods1.jpg

Some progress on the dio. The extension of the wooded area is about 90% done, need to add some stumps and some leafy debris to the ground cover, work on the skidder road a little.

fence5.jpg

Installed the fence to help disguise the seam between sections. I'm pretty pleased with how it came out and it went into place easier than I feared. Figured I'd wind up breaking something. Gonna add brush, vines, rocks and general detritus in the fencerow.

cornfield.jpg

Started on the cornfield. I tried making my own corn as the commercially available stuff was WAY spendy. That got old quickly. Then I found a source for some at a much more reasonable price - $12 for 400 plants. 20 strips of 20 plants. Still pretty tedious to get them planted straight but a helluva lot less hassle than 400 individual stalks. Not that I'd have retained what's left of my sanity long enough to MAKE 400 individual plants...

Kids/Grandkids went together and got me a Cricut Maker for Christmas. After seeing the one the granddaughter-in-law has, I mentioned in passing that it might be useful for making stuff for my diorama. Apparently they took that as a hint. Wasn't intended that way, but I certainly appreciate it.

Now I've got to figure out how to use the dang thing. Been watching some videos and with the right cutter attachment it will cut thin styrene but I'll have to draw my own cutting plans and export them as SVG (scalable vector graphics) files. Which, of course, involves learning new software. Good exercise for the ol' gray matter I guess.

Have I been living under a rock? Had never heard of a Cricut maker - looks like a very useful craft tool.

I know the feeling...

They've been around since the early 2000's. Never heard of them until a couple of years ago, and then figured they were strictly girly scrapbooking toys. Which, primarily, they are but if I can master making my own cutting patterns I think I can put it to good use. Plus, as @kshansen pointed out, it should be just the ticket for gaskets, especially if you need multiple copies.

gascut1.jpg

gascut2.jpg

Yes indeedy! Experimenting and learned a couple of things:

1. I can design an image in software I already have (TinkerCAD) and export it in SVG format. Wasn't sure the machine would like that, but it works fine.

2. Apparently, no matter where the image is on the screen workspace, the machine is going to cut it in the upper left corner if there's only one image. Oops.

3. I need to get the "deep cut knife" to do gasket material. It did a nice job but didn't cut all the way through. After a couple of attempts, I did it on light cardstock to check the quality of the cut.

Next step: See if I can scan an actual gasket, import the image from the scanner, export it as an SVG and keep the dimensions accurate.

Back