Ive had enough!frustrated

LuisN

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
At this point i have one through everything 5 times wth!?

Setup:
1982 xs650
Using a capacitor , no battery . Volt is good when on
Pamco + e advance unit
Pma

Vm34s tuned
New plugs

At first it was turning on and the bikes were the dame ones from another xs but it aounded 600000 times louder and the pressure coming off the pipe was even stronger. But it did not wanna stay on or idle . I tried the idle screw all the way in and nothing i had to hold the throttle...

So i advanced the pamco a bit and it help to make it less pressure on exhaust and its not as loud but almost the same a the other xs.

Still does not stay on at all

Needle on carbs are in the middle, 3rd setting

Smokes a lot as well from the pipes but cant confirm the exact color but its def not burning oil. Valves checked, etc. new exhaust gaskets as well and intake boots etc
It wont idle whats so ever wth!? Hope someone can help

Did another pass through, still cant figure it out. Any thoughts guys?

Did you do all this work to a bike that has not run yet? IE, PMA, Pamco, cap only?
Obviously something is seriously wrong with your idle circuit and your pilot jet since you ran the idle screw all the way in and it would not sustain. The only reason it does when you feather the throttle is you are getting into the needle and past the mixture screw and pilot, so your carbs are not "tuned"
Did you do the cam chain tension adjustment before the valve lash adjustment? Obviously the timing is not in yet since you are moving the Pamco plate and your carbs don't work.
Go to the carb guide in the tech section and disassemble and learn your carbs with the carb guide. Clean them by the guide, especially the small passages, and if you did not already change them, I recommend getting a new set of MIKUNI pilots. Write down what jets you have in it, where you set your float height, and take some pictures.
Your ignition and PMA/capacitor setup is at least passable, since you can feather up the throttle and get it to run. You need to fix the carbs and find out what the smoke is all about. Pull your plugs and inspect them for hints on this.
Good luck, and if you don't have any, buy some patience or you will just frustrate yourself further.

I think im going to step away from it for tonight .. Yes have done the same work w the same hard minusa cap. Used a full battery and the e advance.

Will retry in the am and will check carbs first. Did notice some gas inside of the slide when i removed it. The plugs looked black but i wiped it clean and it smells like gas. Not oil at all

Back