Japanese Industrial Standard

I don't think the heads are weak, they just require a different type of screwdriver that fits them properly. Many are now all buggered up because people didn't use that proper screwdriver.

I don't think the heads are weak, they just require a different type of screwdriver that fits them properly. Many are now all buggered up because people didn't use that proper screwdriver.
Seriously?

Many of the hex headed fasteners are the J.I.S. type as well but it doesn't effect the fit of metric wrenches other than the fact that many of the heads are slightly smaller than a normal metric fastener. The perfect example is the M8 size bolt or nut. A normal metric one takes a 13mm wrench or socket while the J.I.S. version takes a 12mm. And there are a ton of these J.I.S. M8's on the 650.

I have (had ) 2 uncle's who were brothers that owned an Indian dealership in Iowa, Indians and bicycles in the 40s. They were motorcycle mechanics up until the day they bother pasted away. I think they were in their 80s. One was at Normandy...
I can remember hearing them cuss the Japanese fasteners on the old motorcycles 60-70s era

Yep, seriously. Learn to use the search function here. There's a few very well written threads on this forum dealing with the JIS standard. Search for them and all will be revealed.
Jim you have the softest hands I've ever seen. I bet you are a gentle man

Jim you have the softest hands I've ever seen. I bet you are a gentle man
Ah... I see you don't respond well to learning suggestions. Here, let me help with that.... a quick search for jis screws turned up this fine thread by @MaxPete. He's an engineer and university professor... knows his stuff.
http://www.xs650.com/threads/tools-jis-screwdrivers-pete’s-annual-rant.53802/
If you'll actually bother to read that thread, it'll go a long way to answering your original question.
I know.... being spoon fed is much easier than doing the looking for answers yourself.... but that's kinda encouraged around here.
Hows that for soft hands? :rolleyes:

Jim, with those same soft hands, knows how to use a fuel petcock too, and if it has an on and off. You may wish to tread lightly when people steer you in the direction of knowledge. Coming in hot for a new guy
Thanks but I'm rarely called hot by another man.....I'm assuming your a male.

Ah... I see you don't respond well to learning suggestions. Here, let me help with that.... a quick search for jis screws turned up this fine thread by @MaxPete. He's an engineer and university professor... knows his stuff.
http://www.xs650.com/threads/tools-jis-screwdrivers-pete’s-annual-rant.53802/
If you'll actually bother to read that thread, it'll go a long way to answering your original question.
I know.... being spoon fed is much easier than doing the looking for answers yourself.... but that's kinda encouraged around here.
Hows that for soft hands? :rolleyes:
That's awful sweet of you Jim

Behaviors: Changes story frequently: Check. Plays passive/aggressive games, amps up drama progressively with sob stories: Check. Poses simple questions as bait and complicates them bit by bit to protract responses and aggravate responders: Check. [Sniff...sniff...sniff] Pong of algae, chemical waste, and worse from lurking under bridge: Check. Breath smells of raw goat: Check.

That clinches the diagnosis: Gentlemen, this here is a troll. Shun it, poke it, just don't take it seriously. If it won't go away, Travis will know what to do and when to do it.

Behaviors: Changes story frequently: Check. Plays passive/aggressive games, amps up drama progressively with sob stories: Check. Poses simple questions as bait and complicates them bit by bit to protract responses and aggravate responders: Check. [Sniff...sniff...sniff] Pong of algae, chemical waste, and worse from lurking under bridge: Check. Breath smells of raw goat: Check.

That clinches the diagnosis: Gentlemen, this here is a troll. Shun it, poke it, just don't take it seriously. If it won't go away, Travis will know what to do and when to do it.
Yeah. Although trolls generally have that same foul odor, some have a bit of familiarity to 'em. Ain't that right CC1?

cc1.png
cc1 Ark.png
xs650911.png
cc1 Ark.png

Back