Jetting issues after head rebuild

Yep, another cheap pod victim. I can't believe people still buy those things. It's so well documented that they SUCK, and not in a good way (not air, like they're supposed to), lol. If you were using that same filter (or a similar one) on your BS34s, there's probably nothing wrong with them either.

Those are the same ones I've used for 8 years, how I didn't have issues before boggles my mind.

So PK-82 or UP4200, I know you use the longer UP4200. Any reason why? I can't seem to find any comparison threads.

Last edited:
Simply because larger is usually better when it comes to air filters. More surface area means more air flow. The 4" long UP4200 is the longest that will fit between the carb and stock battery box. I realize some of the hardtail guys must go with the PK-82 because of space limitations but if you have the room, use the longer ones.

oook
I went on a bit of a ride today in the twisties, not much over 1/4 throttle. It runs fantastic. I have the 1 step up from stock 30 pilot. The needle was one step leaner than stock (1 clip from top). I started with 2-3/4 turns out but it remained lean all afternoon. Every 10 minutes I went another 1/4 turn out. I rode home with 3-1/2 turns out on the mixture and it was starting to tan but still lean. I came home and put the needle richer (middle position) and reset the mixture screw at 2-3/4 (per recommendation). Took a 15 minute ride. It's close but still a little lean so I'm going for 3 turns next ride. At what point do I go bigger pilot, or richer needle if 3 turns out still isn't enough?

You could do it now. Mikuni now makes a 32.5 size (before, they jumped right up to 35) and that size is sometimes perfect for the '78-'79 carb set. Not every place carries it yet since it's rather new, but it's worth searching out. A 35 would most likely be too big.

I just wanted to close out this thread with a big thank you for everyone's help.

In the end I'm now running '78 carbs on my '80. Having an adjustable needle is nice. It's in middle position.

Pilot is a 32.5 (stock is 27.5)
Main is a 140 (stock is 135)
and mixture screw is 2-5/8 turns
and my air filters are now the 4" UNIs
BUB exhaust (welded in baffles)

thanks again!

If your plugs are starting to tan you are not lean. The 140 main is big enough. Bought a 78 stock exhaust 140 main plugs said it was way rich. Glad you got it working listen to 5twins on those filters.

Back