Jetting open pipes with torque boosters at 1000 feet?

luketrash

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
This XS650 I have is a frankenstein.. The engine is a 1975, the carbs are from a 1976 standard, the frame was a '77 but I swapped in a titled 79 special frame since it had a title...

Anyway, I'm wishing to upjet these '76er carbs with a good guess at the jets. I'll be running some sort of generic or K&N pod air filters on them. Whoever did the exhaust on the bike welded in material up at the engine side of the header pipes to restrict the exhaust for backpressure. I'm at 1000 feet elevation in Iowa and that doesn't change much around these parts ;)

Here's a photo of what that looks like:

3602487230_4374be3b2d.jpg

There's just slash cut straight pipe extenders on it and I like the simplicity. I'm gonna heat wrap the whole works once the bike runs and just leave it obnoxiously loud.

This is what it looks like:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3410/3647812636_235d4bfb54_b.jpg

Thank for any pointers!

<blink> I'm looking at that forward control for the rear brake and thinking "eeeek!!" You never want to push a thin rod like that - which is probably why it looks like it's bent. You should figure out a way to get it to pull instead.

As for the pipes - that may be the way they came from the factory. They came double walled. Do you have holes in the outer pipe up by the header and at the bottom slightly angled inboard?

The previous owner made the forward controls (literally, out of steel gas pipe and other junk.) I might run it with OEM controls since I have the parts to revert it. Since I moved everything to the Special frame, the rear brake works even less better, ha..

I don't have any holes in the outer pipe that I know of. These definitely look like something someone got in there with a welder or whatever and made material to restrict the flow. I might try to take better photos when I pull the bike into the garage next week.

Back