Jetting VM34's again....

TwoJugs

Excess XS
Reaction score
I know there has been lots of posts relating to the VM34s but I am looking for some guidance on my attempt to dial in the set I am working on. A friend brought me his XS to try to get running right. He bought the bike as a new build from a popular manufacture and it came with an AS IS motor in a beautiful set up. The motor has many issues, most of them solved now but the carbs are fighting me. It came with these brand new Sudco carbs installed. I am amazed on how many others issues I have found. There was lots of slack on this build when it was shipped across country to the new owner and it was not a cheap bike either.

It is a stock 650, good compression, valves and timing adjusted, good spark, bla bla bla. It is running soooooo rich I am amazed it runs at all. 180 mains, 25 pilots, air jet removed. Float level good, needle tried at center and 1 up position with no difference at all. It will drink a pint of gas as I am running it in the stand for a couple of minutes! I did tear the carbs down as far as they go. I noticed reading somewhere that they make a 2 stroke and a 4 stroke version with the difference being the needle jet. These have the primary type, not the bleed type that Mikuni calls for with 4 stroke operations? Could this be the block that is causing gas to poor through the carbs? Almost seems like gas is slipping by somewhere just pouring into the motor? It wont idle even with the stop screws bottomed out. I did pop on a set of my stock carbs to see the reaction and bingo, instant idel and great response. The VMs are just way to rich?

Although Mikuni recommends the bleed type needle jet for 4 strokes, the VMs we commonly use on the 650 (32-36mm) all come with the primary type needle jet. We just work around it and make do. You mentioned mains, pilots, and removing the air jet but didn't give your needle or needle jet specs. These usually need changing too. Most use a 159 series P-4, 5, or 6 needle jet and a 6F9 needle. More info on tuning here .....

http://xs650temp.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=carbfaq&action=display&thread=730

Thanks, 5twins; I've written everything I know on this subject 10 times already, I'm not gonna write it again, and I've just resolved never, ever again to respond to any post where specifics are ducked and the poster expects me to go begging for information like "What is that 'good' float level?", "What needles and NJ's did Sudco stick in there?", "Where are the needle clips?", etc.

Back