Jump Start

Simple Bob

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys hows it going . We ll I'm at apoint in my build that I'm trying to the old engine started. I'm not going to be running a starter, but I still have it attached. Will it mess up anything running a hot wire from the battery to the starter or is there a better way to do this.thanks again

Posted via Mobile

a switch in there somewhere is kinda nice.... Use the solenoid if you have it. ground the blue white wire and touch the red /white wire to hot to operate the starter. or vice versa. The electric leg is nice for trouble shooting for sure.

The starter draws a rather heavy current. I have jumped the terminals on the solenoid with a screw driver but trying to hold a loose wire to a battery terminal could get ugly fast. More than one mechanic has turned a wedding ring red hot in similar situations. Ouch. Actually watched a buddy blow the caps off a battery doing a Jump with a pair of pliers. Got a face full of acid.

When I want to jump start the starter, I used a spare car battery set on the ground a few feet away from the bike. With a good set of jumper cables hooked to the battery, I hook thr ground to a foot peg nut. Put a 4-5 inch bolt in the hot cable, turn on the key set the choke, touch the bolt to the solenoid/starter relay on the cable to the starter.This just sends the car battery power to the starter. The bikes battery powers the ignition. This protect the bike electrics.
On yours instead of hooking the ground cable to the bike put thr bolt in the ground clamp, hook the hot clamp to the cable on the starter. Now touch the bolt to a good ground. This should spin the starter just fine. If you don't have a cable on the starter I would put one on for this. Crawling on the ground to touch the bolt to the starter cable connection will be a real PITA.
Either way this gets any sparks away from the batteries.
Good luck on your initial start up and running.

Back