Just bought this guy! (New Member)

ericmu17

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hey I am Completely new here. I really know nothing about the bike I just bought. A friend told me his grandfather had a motorcycle for sale so I took a look at it and fell in love with the look and price. Got it for $100. It has 15,300 miles on it it does not run but I am going to clean the carb and change the oil and get a new battery. Does anyone have any tips on what to look for on a bike thats been sitting for a couple years??? Also...can anyone see from the picture if there are any parts that arent original to the bike.

http://www5.snapfish.com/snapfish/s...ctureID=143832263028/a=2135631028_2135631028/

Beautiful! But it's a girl, not a guy, unless you're a girl. Or unless....never mind.

Yea but look at the seat.....it looks weird....
and theres no grab bar thingy on the back....

If it is low on compression, shoot some Marvel Mystery Oil in the oil plug hole, put the plugs back and let it sit for a few days. Take the plugs out again and crank it until it stops spitting oil. New plugs, cleaned carbs, oil change and a new battery should do you.

79,Special 2 has alloy 16/19 Rims, went to chrome 80 on. Those wheels are rare. New/ old seat and chrome rail ........:thumbsup: drop the bars

So its a '79 and not an 80? Yea I want to drop the bars!!! Does anyone know a good place to find aftermarket ones?

^cb750 bars fit well, and there are plenty of them cheap on ebay. They come in a wide variety over the years and you can find lots of pictures to see what they look like, not possible with most new bars. I replaced my buckhorns because they screwed my shoulders up, finally just now getting normal again, several months after the bars change. I think the width and spacing of the knurling is the same for all cb750 years and models, but I'm not positive.

My guess about the seat is that you probably have an original seat and somebody reshaped the foam and re-covered it. You could probably get a used original seat for it on ebay, and maybe sell your original pan.

To get the year, you need to look up your vin. Since you questioned the year, I'm assuming you don't have a title... I wouldn't put a penny into it before I got a title.

Last edited:
The title says its a 1980..... The carb is a mikuni 34.... ummmmm the side plates are not original.....since one side says special 650 (I also noticed a ups shipping sticker on the inside) and the other says special II 650.

What's the sticker on the neck say? If there is no sticker there will be a number stamped in it.
i.e. 3GO-XXXX, 2FO-XXXX

Last edited:
Back