just broke down-electrical trouble

doubletrouble

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just out on my 81'H and pushed it home half mile. recent work-installed new rotor(electrosport);new brushes,new battery, and cleaned carbs.After new rotor was installed the bike ran ok for about 30 miles then was sluggish throttling up until i let out the clutch,then sluggish dissapeared and it ran fine. today same symptoms but on way home i noticed that when my turn signal was on and i was throttling through turn,the bike was surging forward each time the turn singal blinked. it ran fine on highway for 10 miles and then at next stoplight it backfired and was sluggish starting out. one more mile at nest stoplight i couldn't get past sluggish start and it would stall every time. I can start bike and have it idle ok but if i turn throttle it stalls.
I checked the timing-it was inside the"u" but more to the left. The carbs were cleaned couple months ago also. off to check voltage reg/rec with ohm meter.

Any advice or direction would be much appreciated!

DT

what is your voltage with the bike running? are you charging? sounds like the bike is running off the battery (could be interminently) and when voltage falls to low your coil is getting robbed on the primary side. with the bike running (you should be around 13.5volts with the system loaded. (turn on all your consumers and bring the bike to 3000 rpm, voltage should still be around 13.5 or so..

Check your battery voltage with and without the Key on.
I had a bad AGM battery. I was checking everything. It was a bad Battery, Voltage was fine with the key off , turn on the key and to went to 7 or so volts. A new battery fixed all my problems, Starter, charging and running now great. I did not suspect the battery as it was new.

Back