Just curious, Am I the only one who had a hellish day wrenching?

Tron

Bearded Sheep Whisperer
Reaction score
Quick vent,

Motor WAS all back in the frame nice and pretty like, until, as Im installing my PAMCO, realize the god damn cam was off a few degrees.

AGhh.

SO, yank that bitch out solo in a cloud of fury, get it up on the bench, tear down, re-assemble, and what happens? Oh, just break a head stud at 8 god damn pounds of pressure as Im torquing the last few up. Really? I chased all my threads, new nuts, new washers.. Just bad luck..

Not only that, but I some how managed to break a cam chain tensioner bolt as well. Again, this one was about 6 lbs of force. Granted, I was reusing the stock bolts for the tensioner.

A buddy arrives at my shop and is laughing at me because he had gotten 3 separate calls from other dudes around town having a hell of a day, including himself. Seems nobody was having much like today.

:banghead::banghead::banghead:

Anyone else have some troubles they'd like to share?

Oh, and as im cursing and all mad, I watch my mate Jay take his shovel chop for the first ride since he built it. Starts first kick. Damn you!

Life isn't easy. I bet Mitt Romney lost a few million today (well, no, the market is up again.) However, Mitt R. wouldn't attempt to build an engine. Do you feel better being superior to any presidential candidate? (except Carter who could build an engine better than we could.) Well I've screwed up, lots of times. I was a professional with many different engines and I messed up many a job. Did you learn anything? Are you gettting better? Does this make you feel like sh!t happens to everyone? Join the club.

Tom

Thats really was tomterrific,

Yes I learned...To drink more beer

I have learned that, replacing 85% of the hardware does not get you anywhere, that 15% will bite ya in the ass!

Just an average day no big disasters and got a gas tank seal coated today With the new new paint on it already, so I tiptoed by that graveyard. Yesterday I lost my cool for awhile finding things I had in my hand about 20 seconds earlier. Good thing the neighbors can't hear me when I'm down in the garage... I did have the dogs running for the exits.

It'll be better tomorrow. You sure about your torque wrench??

Not sure at all. I actually rented one because I dont trust mine, But how the heck can you be sure?

But that being said, the head studs literally just crumbled. I had that look on my face of, hmm, somethings off, snap. Woops.

That being said, I got lucky in the aspect of pulling them out. They broke with literally a 1/16 of an inch showing, but JUST enough to grap onto with a pair of vice grips and twist out!

How the hell do people get that cam and crank timing messed up....If the marks dont line up when putting the chain on, for the love of eff dont close the damn thing up.

How the hell do people get that cam and crank timing messed up....If the marks dont line up when putting the chain on, for the love of eff dont close the damn thing up.

Well, I can't speak for anyone else, but that shit happens to me when I get in a hurry and want it done NOW!

Bites me on the ass every time.

You'd think I'd learn...:banghead:

By accident I found a great way to keep from getting too caught up in wrenching and taking a small break every 20 minutes or so.

You young guys might have to Google this :D "Record Player"

I wanted some music in my shop but didn't want to buy a mp3 player,etc.

I drug out my old record player and a few records,now I have to get up every 20 minutes or so to change flip sides and I was shocked at how relaxed i was when I went back to the bike.

I can buy records at flea markets and garage sales for 50 cents,problem solved.....Alan

For me A hellish day wrenching is better than any day working.
Well.... I had a hellish day wrenching at work. We were overhauling a big shredder at a factory where they incinerate garbage. ( I still smell the :cussing: thing)

Attachments

• shredder.jpg
    shredder.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 114
Back