Just fired it after a rebuild. . . . Carb tuning?

I now have the pods on and the carb hole things plugged. I can get it to start like every 30th kick now . . . . . pulled the plugs and they spark, i can see gas going into the carbs . . . . I have moved the boyer timing a little but can't get it to start every time.

I have tried spraying copious amounts of carb cleaner in them but no dice.

What steps should I be taking so I can finally test drive this beauty . . . ?

From what I understand, a Boyer needs to be set at full advance using a timing light. Get it to start then properly set the timing. When everything's right, these are usually 1 or 2 kick starters.

I got it running by testing the battery and finding that it was dead :doh:

My right pipe is 'blueing' while the left is 'golding'. This has something to do with running rich or lean, right? What should I be investigating for this?

you might want to a: hold the throttle a bit up while still on choke, then turn off choke, with the bike still idling high, and turn the idle screw in to that point. After the engine warms up, turn down the idle to 1200.

(this was actually before i read the whole thread)

So is it running okay now?

Last edited:
you might want to a: hold the throttle a bit up while still on choke, then turn off choke, with the bike still idling high, and turn the idle screw in to that point. After the engine warms up, turn down the idle to 1200.

(this was actually before i read the whole thread)

So is it running okay now?

The idle is all over the place. It runs good, I took it for about a two mile run and when I would stop at a stop sign and put it in neutral it would idle REALLY high. No tach in yet so not sure what it was. I would adjust it lower and ride another mile and it would be high again. I need a tach to do this right, just wanted to get it out in the sun and breeze.

The pipes are coloring differently. Not sure if one side is running too rich/lean or not. Right pipe is really blue and the left is barely golden yellow.

It runs fine though. As far as I can tell I mean.

advanced timing, air leaks, or sticky advance rod (which you may not have as i saw boyer as your iggy)

Or it needs a carb sync. Or all of the combined.

Aftermarket pipes will turn colors many times even if the jetting is right because they're single wall. They should, however, turn the same color. Gold comes 1st, then blue, so your blue side is running hotter than your gold side. The way your idle is high and racing all around, it sounds like you may have an air leak on that hotter side.

Aftermarket pipes will turn colors many times even if the jetting is right because they're single wall. They should, however, turn the same color. Gold comes 1st, then blue, so your blue side is running hotter than your gold side. The way your idle is high and racing all around, it sounds like you may have an air leak on that hotter side.

Air leak as in the carb holders or something on the intake side, right?

Yes, carb holder or maybe the vacuum barb on it. Butterfly shaft seals can also suck air if they're bad. On my original manifolds, one of the vacuum barbs came loose and you could pull it right out.

Yes, carb holder or maybe the vacuum barb on it. Butterfly shaft seals can also suck air if they're bad. On my original manifolds, one of the vacuum barbs came loose and you could pull it right out.

Don't mean to sound like too much of a moron, but I am not sure what the butterfly shaft seals are. :shrug:

Yes, the seals are located at each end of each butterfly shaft. There are 2 per carb, 4 per carb set .....

ButterflyShaftSeal.jpg

Spray some WD40 around the shaft ends while the bike is sitting there idling and see if the engine speed fluctuates. If it does, you may need new seals. Spray around the carb boot and vacuum nipples too to check for leaks there as well.

*thinking* i'm pretty sure i replaced those. I'd have to go back in my email and check. If i didn't, i at least looked at them and pronounced them good. I know i had his carbs totally apart (including butterfly shafts).

I also know i ran around for a couple of days with them on my own bike to test (ah! Now i remember!) and they worked mint. It's *possible* that something has gone wrong with them, but i doubt it.

Ok. So, now . . . everytime I try and start it on Choke it won't start and somewhat smokes out of the pods. Also, kickstarting it (which is my only method at the moment) will kick back up every couple of times and break your ankle. I am hobbling now and looking for a fix to this hard as hell to start bike :)

Back