Just got an xs650, need opinions

jmart94

XS650 Member
Reaction score
hello everybody, well i just got a XS650 the other day. This is my first bike ever, i admit im in way over my head with getting an older bike, probably not the smartest thing for me to do but who couldn't use another hobby. I am not familiar with mechanics and wanted to get some opinions on this bike. I definitely rushed into buying it since two of my best friends just bought one recently. This is an '81 xs650. When riding the forks are really spongy and the front brake isn't as sensitive as id like (pad seems to have a good bit of meat, you just got to push the break down pretty hard). Also the clutch is pretty hard to press down. The electric starter is not responsive and the bike is pretty darn hard to kick start when cold. But when its running it seems to run well (at least to my knowledge, which doesn't mean much). But i was wondering if anyone had any opinions on this bike, if i should put it in the shop to get some of these issues resolved since it is my first bike, or is this something a novice could try to figure out. Its a pretty bike, i just hope i didnt waste money by buying this bike out of haste and envy...but id love to hear what yall have to say,

thanks,
jared

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    237.4 KB · Views: 218
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    222.5 KB · Views: 208
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    218 KB · Views: 208
Seems to have been put together pretty well. Stick around this website and learn to make repairs and adjustments yourself.

That is a "decent looking" bike. Check out the tech section in the Maintenance and General Troubleshooting section, lots of good info in there. As far as shops go many of them do not work on bikes as old as ours and the ones that do may not be that familiar with these. Any modifications made only compound the problem of them being unfamiliar with these old bikes. If you do find a shop that will be able to work on your bike it will be expensive. My best advice would be to get your hands on at least 1 manual and read, read, read. Also read all you can in the tech section. These old bikes are not that complicated and your best bet to save yourself a ton of money is to get to know your bike and learn to do the service yourself.

HI, nice lookin bike. First off, you should order a haynes/clymer manual...better yet, get both. Then you need to charge your battery; these run funny on a low battery. Clean those carburetors, bleed your brakes, and push those forks back down through the triple tree....The forks look like they've been "modified", so I'd go through those as well.

The forks could probably stand new springs and most definitely need fluid replacement. It's often neglected. The brakes are likely working as well as they're going to. It's an old bike and it never stopped like the new ones do. Yamaha recommended replacing the brake lines every four years. Yours are over 30 years old. They need to go. Yes, you need a strong hand to work the clutch. Lube the cable. That might help. Good luck with it!

It's hard to tell if you got a good deal or not based on the pictures. The best way to find out is to seek out someone you know who is experienced with motorcycles and ask them to look at it. Have them visually inspect it and take it for a spin. Get their opinion on it. If you don't know anyone take it to a local yamaha dealer and pay for a inspection of the bike. From my experience most big dealers still have an old head that works on the old bikes and can school you on your bike.

Hi and welcome to the best moneypit-errr hobby ever!

I too did buy an XS on an impulse without any knowledge of mechanics at all.

Best place to start is here: http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=367

I did a LOT of reading here and got a manual and also read this http://thexscafedotcom.wordpress.com/2011/04/26/xs650-xs650sj-service-manual/

Do it yourself. It's a lot easier than you think, you need a few basic tools, and some balls to get her going! Once you have done something, the rest just flows!

Start with the Carbs. Read the carb guide, read this http://www.amckayltd.com/carbguide.pdf, get a rebuild kit and fix those carbs!

google a how to on rebuilding the brakes, I'm guessing the Master cylinder and calipers need rebuilding. Better yet, if you have the money, upgrade the Master cylinder and calipers to brembo's. Again search the forum, LOADS of how to's for that.

Clutch might need looking at too. I would replace the cable, check the selector seal for leaks, take out the selector mechanism and check for wear and ease of operation, the clutch basket might need looking at. Read the tech section on clutches.

If the engine runs smooth(maybe post a vid for us) it won't need rebuilding, but check the filters for metal and plastic shavings.

This is handy to bookmark too http://www.cmsnl.com/yamaha-xs650h-1981_model8828/partslist/ mostly for reference.

Welcome

If i was going to take it to a shop i would look for the little guy that has old bikes out side like Triumphs, Norton's, or old Jap bikes and pop in and talk to him about the bike and find out what he knows about XS650's.

There is enough information and very knowledgeable people here that can teach and help you through any problem that comes up.

Some times advice can be a bit confusing because several people giving advice at the same time.

IMO keep the bike as it is, (or some slight mods), before chopping or any extreme modifying. The reason is the bike is a going unit now, so working on the bike and learning about your XS650 now will help you later on. learning to tune carbs, fix the timing and tappets means that when it comes to fine tuning later on, (assuming a modified bike of some kind), the knowledge already gained will be invaluable.

The Tech Menu, (in the orange toolbar), is your friend, with a bit of patience you will find just about any information relating to a problem you will encounter.

Some times a Google search, top left of page, is quicker to find that thread.

The ID sticky in the Garage has a lot of links and information for the beginner and has a downloadable Manual and links to other year downloadable manuals and supplements that are needed.

A manual is a must, Haynes and Clymer or if one can be found a Yamaha service manual on eflay and i think MikesXS sells them

FYI, you have BS34 carbs and a Yamaha electronic ignition. No points.

Oh yes and identify the bike, ID no on the engine is behind the front motor mount and frame no is on the head of the frame behing the headlight. Important because a lot of these bikes have been swapped around and a lot of parts from different years interchange.

Xs650 starters are marginal on cold motors anyway, JMO. I always kickstart at least the 1st time on any given day. It should fire up with only one or two kicks if all is well, so that would be a goal to shoot for.

Hi Jared.
Not a bad looking "VLB" custom (very low buck)

Appears to be based on an 81 Special, which is a fine starting point.

You will want to set your goals for this ride, then start in to get the bike to meet them.

A few random picks;
IT appears the builder was a form guy assume that every system is suspect and in need of maintenance. The bike is worth less than $0 if you plan on trying to pay for mechanical and maintenance work. This needs saying up front. If you don't WANT to and plan on doing the mechanics yourself get this thing back on Craigslist RIGHT NOW. It will be the cheapest lesson you will ever get on old motorcycles. But if you like challenges, mysteries and getting your hands dirty, this could be a great project and journey into finding out a little about yourself.

Yes the starter should start it NOW with the battery, wiring, TCI, plugs, coil, carbs, etc all up to snuff. There you go, a month or two's newby learning and work right there.
Be aware; "low stance" carries a heavy cost in miserable road manners. Sounds like you are already realizing that though.

This is a moderate example of the rule that function does not follow form in motorcycles. LOL

IMHO reliability FIRST That means learning the art of motorcycle maintenance. Which also means you will spend much more time wrenching than riding. OR you will have friends with trucks on your speed dial.
Keep this thread going with how it goes, shoot straight, don't spare sharing the boo boos, with the successes and you will get an incredible amount of support and advice here.
Several have pointed out some of the many good resources here to help do and learn.

Welcome to the wonderful world of XS650 ! Old bikes aren't for everyone but if you want an old bike the XS is the way to go . Tons of good cheap aftermarket parts and the best free support you can get from the guys on this forum . Most of the problems you have are very easy to fix and if you spend a few bucks on the right parts now you should have a fairly reliable bike .

Thanks for all the comments. This seems like a good place to be for advise. My manual has arrived today so ill be getting my hands dirty this weekend and am pretty excited. Although im ready to ride, im also ready to feel what its like to earn it. Ill keep sharing progress and even more importantly, ill be constantly bugging all you experienced tinkerers out there...thanks again

Back