Just introducing myself.

Love those. My last bike had reverse cones. So the 1 3/8 size isn’t a problem? Also if you don’t mind my asking, where are the headers from? Honestly I love your bike. I don’t think anyone will complain about too many pics of her. I’m thinking of something very similar. Lower bars than stock, black and even a gold tank similar to yours. The pics don’t show it well but mine is actually scratched and dented.
Thank you. Don't know where the headers originate but I assume they are original. Tank is actually a metallic orange and attempts to replicate the 1972 XS2. Bars are often called Euro bars. I think they might have been fitted to XSs sent to Europe, but this bike has had a varied past - Miss November never talks about the past - and was originally sold in Canada.

The Euro bar bend is my favorite and I put it on all my bikes. Because of the way the ends droop down slightly, I think these are about the most comfortable bars on the planet, lol. Those drooped down ends turn your wrists to a more natural angle compared to bars that stick straight out.

As mentioned, about the nicest muffler available for these is the Commando. But don't buy them from MikesXS, they sell an EMGO version with EMGO guts and just the Commando outer skin. Plus, they only come in a 1 3/4" inlet size so you need to fit those reducers (and they always leak). The headpipes on these have a 1.5" O.D. so that's the size you want for a muffler that will slip right on and fit with no reducers needed. YamahaXS650.com sells the old, original Commando with a 1.5" inlet. This is the original designed and developed on a dyno by Heiden Tuning. It has a somewhat tunable baffle with a removable center plug bolt .....

https://yamahaxs650.com/product/commando-style-megaphone-muffler/

They also sell some nice 1.5" replacement headpipes .....

https://yamahaxs650.com/product/xs-performance-chrome-1-5-od-headpipes/

You can replace the entire exhaust system for less than $250, quite a bargain really.

Last edited:
The Euro bar bend is my favorite and I put it on all my bikes. Because of the way the ends droop down slightly, I think these are about the most comfortable bars on the planet, lol. Those drooped down ends turn your wrists to a more natural angle compared to bars that stick straight out.

As mentioned, about the nicest muffler available for these is the Commando. But don't buy them from MikesXS, they sell an EMGO version with EMGO guts and just the Commando outer skin. Plus, they only come in a 1 3/4" inlet size so you need to fit those reducers (and they always leak). The headpipes on these have a 1.5" O.D. so that's the size you want for a muffler that will slip right on and fit with no reducers needed. YamahaXS650.com sells the old, original Commando with a 1.5" inlet. This is the original designed and developed on a dyno by Heiden Tuning. It has a somewhat tunable baffle with a removable center plug bolt .....

https://yamahaxs650.com/product/commando-style-megaphone-muffler/

They also sell some nice 1.5" replacement headpipes .....

https://yamahaxs650.com/product/xs-performance-chrome-1-5-od-headpipes/

You can replace the entire exhaust system for less than $250, quite a bargain really.

Wow thanks. I think this will be my new exhaust setup. (Though I do also love the look of high pipes. I’m all over the place.) I’ll likely just replace the whole deal with these for a direct fit. I appreciate it. And I do like the euro bars, among some others but that relaxed wrist sounds right for me and it’s hard to know details like that from pics so thanks for the tip.

Wow thanks. I think this will be my new exhaust setup. (Though I do also love the look of high pipes. I’m all over the place.) I’ll likely just replace the whole deal with these for a direct fit. I appreciate it. And I do like the euro bars, among some others but that relaxed wrist sounds right for me and it’s hard to know details like that from pics so thanks for the tip.

If you get the pipes then they will angle up just like in the pictures of 5twins bike

Unfortunately no they won't. The headpipes on my '78 are the MAC brand and what MikesXS used to sell before they had their own made up. The new pipes don't angle up as much, something I would like to "fix", lol. On the '78, the mufflers run just above the rear axle so you can remove it without pulling a muffler. I have the new pipes on my '83 and the muffler blocks axle removal .....

83ExhaustDone5.jpg

83ExhaustDone4.jpg

Unfortunately no they won't. The headpipes on my '78 are the MAC brand and what MikesXS used to sell before they had their own made up. The new pipes don't angle up as much, something I would like to "fix", lol. On the '78, the mufflers run just above the rear axle so you can remove it without pulling a muffler. I have the new pipes on my '83 and the muffler blocks axle removal .....

View attachment 294676

View attachment 294677
I was talking about your 78. Thought you have these 1.5” single wall performance headers

I do, but they are the N.L.A. MAC headpipes. They swept up on the ends at what I think was the perfect angle, high enough to clear the axle but low enough to clear my saddle bags. I'd like to try to bend the ends of those new headpipes up a little and match that.

..... except that requires breaking the chain, harder and much messier than just pulling a muffler, in my opinion anyway.

Wingedwheels, 🦅
In your pic that muffler clamp / attaching point looks further rear than where a stock head pipe ends?
Is there an extension in that wrap ?

No it’s the standard position for a ‘72. It may be a little different than yours due to frame differences but I was just showing how the slip-ons look

No it’s the standard position for a ‘72. It may be a little different than yours due to frame differences but I was just showing how the slip-ons look
Any chance you would know if those head pipes would fit on a 75'?
I really like the pipe going below the rear axel.

Sorry, let me rephrase. Will the1972 head pipes fit on a 1975?
Yours look to be straight in line with the bottom of your frame,
mine are pointing upwards almost directly towards my back axel.
1711718809558.png

I apologize for the hijack SolidGhost. :oops:

Back