Just out of curiosity - Airplane Guys

Mar 29 1949, Joe De Bona set a new transcontinental speed record in Jimmy Doolittle's P-51C of 5 hrs 5 sec.
5 hours from Burbank Ca to New York City is an average of about 500mph. He set out with 850 gal of gas and landed with 30. The Merlin engine started losing oil over Akron Oh, oil pressure dropping from 70 psi down to 20. His oxygen was gone before he landed.

Even more amazing (to me) is the Mustang was a bitza. It had no military serial number or one from North American Aviation.... it was built from leftover pieces.

1711759859405.png

1711760807706.png

1711760470209.png

1711760507666.png

https://www.thisdayinaviation.com/

Last edited:
Some may find worth noting this GPS jam world map, which is somewhat searchable according to date...maybe 30 days into past. https://gpsjam.org/ They say the indicated area are indicated because of reported interference, jamming more or less. Obviously there may be massive jamming in places where no one flies...and that would naturally not be reported...and not indicated.. so it's sorta flaky... but when the map tracks events it can be somewhat predictive... You know, funny business with explosives and flying machines, and blasted to bits people... The yellow zone on the US border at Juarez has become bigger.... Very innarrestin' Do enjoy, it's an expensive show, and only plays once.

You know, I attended Aircraft Battle Damage Repair courses off and on over the years to learn how do emergency field repairs in the combat theater but I do believe that aircraft would've been deemed a parts bird in pretty short order. :yikes:
...and the pilot's skivvies deemed unreusable...

You know, I attended Aircraft Battle Damage Repair courses off and on over the years to learn how do emergency field repairs in the combat theater but I do believe that aircraft would've been deemed a parts bird in pretty short order. :yikes:
I just wonder if the pilot had any idea of the damage before he landed and got out? I'm sure he knew about the left wing but what about the damage to the rear of plane?

I just wonder if the pilot had any idea of the damage before he landed and got out? I'm sure he knew about the left wing but what about the damage to the rear of plane?
If he still had his Wingman, yes he would have as they usually triaged each others aircraft after an engagement like that. If he ended up solo, probably not other than how badly the aircraft was handling of course...either way, definitely a butt puckering experience.

I’ve always had a soft spot for the DC8 and Here’s a video of one of the last examples still flying - for Samaritan’s Purse relief org.

I think I know a chap who has worked with them….good guy for sure. 😊

I’ve always had a soft spot for the DC8 and Here’s a video of one of the last examples still flying - for Samaritan’s Purse relief org.

I think I know a chap who has worked with them….good guy for sure. 😊
That's cause you never had to work on one, Pete. They were a pain...

That's cause you never had to work on one, Pete. They were a pain...
Don’t I know it! Delta Air Lines did the engine modification in the eighties. The Freon packs went away at that time as well. Delta did the mods on all the DC-8s, except for the main deck cargo door. That airplane stayed in service for quite a few years after that. UPS retired them rather recently. The DC-8 did fly into the 21st century.

If he still had his Wingman, yes he would have as they usually triaged each others aircraft after an engagement like that. If he ended up solo, probably not other than how badly the aircraft was handling of course...either way, definitely a butt puckering experience.
I think if I was the wingman I might have just said, "Take it easy on the ride home. I'll keep an eye out for anything getting real bad!"

Back