Just out of curiosity - Airplane Guys

Canada should buy the IP from Northrop Grumman and put it into production.

7b68da83c6ff8cada62ab400386da024.jpg

This just showed up in one of my feeds. The F-15 is undefeated in air combat. One could argue that qualifies it as the greatest fighter of all time. It's also the only jet fighter that ever shot down a satellite in space. Have a read.

zaa.jpg

They've yet to make an airplane that could hang with a one eleven down in the weeds (or water in your case). I used to love taking 'em to Red Flag. My pilots would come back with an ear to ear grin and tales of everything else "eating their dust." The book rates 'em at 1.2 mach at sea level. Pilots would regularly say they held 1.55 - 1.59 m 200 ft off the deck.deck.

Talking about fast & smooth rides, former F- 105 crew chiefs said thier pilots said about the "Thuds" was the faster they flew close to the deck, the smoother the ride." Also called the "Cadilacs" because of it . I never crewed one so dunno.

This just showed up in one of my feeds. The F-15 is undefeated in air combat. One could argue that qualifies it as the greatest fighter of all time. It's also the only jet fighter that ever shot down a satellite in space. Have a read.

Hell of a plane, but it never really went toe to toe with a peer opponent. Hopefully it never does.

Your Top Ten?

Mine:

F4U Corsair
F4 Phantom
SR71
F86 Sabre
P51 Mustang
P47 Thunderbolt
P40 Warhawk
P38 Lightning
P61 Black Widow
PBY Catalina

B17 should be in there but I limited myself to 10

You got almost everything right... my subjective opinion of course... I would throw a McDonald Douglas F-15 Eagle in there somewhere. It has definitely stood the test of time. It would fit anywhere on your list. The B-17 belongs for sure, but if you have to pick 10, it might not make it.

For me #1 is the C-130 and only because I got to fly on one in New Zealand. In August 1976 a US Naval Vessel (Trucson) was in Wellington Harbour so the dock workers went on strike. My family was left stranded needing to cross to the South Island so the NZ Government flew us across. Our car crossed in a Bristol Freighter - do they still fly? On arrival in the South Island the fire engines all came out to greet us, or was it because one of the turbo props died??. On the C-130 we had three other cars packed in with us. Not bad for my first ever flight.

For understandable reasons not on everyone's list but ground breaking for sure.

View attachment 181341
Impressive that there is a flying example!
Betcha dint' know the engines were pull started just like a mower... on the original Junkers engines I mean. :sneaky:

I didn't know about the pull-start starter motor, or that there is still an airworthy example of the 262. The Germans developed a lot of advanced weapons systems during the war, most of them too late to see much action. I might have previously mentioned the Me 163 rocket plane? Lethal. To the pilot. If it crashed on take-off, the plane exploded. Or if it didn't explode, the rocket fuel dissolved the unfortunate man. An interceptor, with four minutes of engine power, used to gain altitude above the enemy bomber stream. Then it became a very fast glider and the pilot had a brief opportunity to shoot down a B17. Before attempting a high-speed landing on a tiny metal skid.

Said to be the first aircraft to exceed 1000 kmh in level flight.

komet.jpg

Put another way, the F-15 is a 48 yr old design, still standing guard on active duty... and still undefeated. Maybe it's other peers are afraid of it. :sneaky:

The Aeroplane is perhaps good .. But ( pardon my French ..not doing this to upset anyone and certainly no veteran or defense force minded and / or patriot ) is it not the Air to Air missiles that is in a class of its own .. with total combat support .
I got the impression the word on the street is that fex AMRAM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AIM-120_AMRAAM

Is the real deal so to speak .. I may be wrong but the saying goes that ..that long distance firing capability and then turn home. Makes the difference. The proverbial " Rocket Scientist " has performed .. If the planes comes within range of Russian planes .. Which there is no need for if the saying is true. Well what happens then ?
There are videos of Russian planes on the net displaying scary maneuvering capabilities.
At times Unbelievable

Back