Just out of curiosity - Airplane Guys

...at least, that is the idea - everywhere at all times.
I had a seat in the cockpit. I know I asked the pilots, "How do you understand these controllers?" In the former Soviet block, they don't always use English and some can't. We used to often go the Central Asia and that fact is not comforting.

I had a seat in the cockpit. I know I asked the pilots, "How do you understand these controllers?" In the former Soviet block, they don't always use English and some can't. We used to often go the Central Asia and that fact is not comforting.

Indeed - and from my understanding, that accounts for at least some of the higher accident rates in some of those countries where English is not as commonly used. I think that some folks get the idea that it is a "colonial dominance" issue - but in fact, it is simply common sense to use a common language and that is why all countries have agreed to it.

....even if the odd twit in a control tower or the cockpit of a run-down old bird doesn't concur.

Last edited:
Was somewhere in Italy :umm: and I needed to cross the active to get to the trim pad. Called the tower and requested permission to cross. Italian guy in the tower replied "hoekay... gohead" in a thick accent. Called again when I was clear and he said "arrivederci." Prolly a lot lost in typing, but it was hilarious at the time.

A couple of noteworthy posts on the VFT today.:thumbsup:
05May18-JackyCockran.jpg
05May18-JeanaYeager.jpg

Funny, a pair of lowly Continental boxer engines that 'tween them couldn't give you 250 horses on a good day... ran for 9 days straight and became the first to go around the world without stopping for fuel... or stopping period. Damn good engines.
Didn't that round the world flight start off with a bit of damage to one wing on take-off?

I recall being at the Air and Space Museum's shop about a year after that flight and sitting in the middle along with a bunch of other planes being worked on that plane was sitting there. Think I might have a picture some place but it would be a slide and not sure if my printer/scanner will copy the slide.

Also in the shop at the same time was the Enola Gay, or at least parts of it scattered around as they were just getting started on that project.

Okay you history sleuths, I hope this is a challenge, Name the bike and year and the aircraft in this vintage shot. Hint: It is after 1910... ;-)
189032208_2634513536846043_5589941140707269011_n.jpg

Well, the motorcycle is a H-D OHV made between the years 1936 - 1947. They were not called "Knuckleheads" until years later. Or so I've read. The airplane is maybe a home built "Flybaby" with an unknown engine. That's my guess. I'd like to know what engine the plane is using.

Back