Just picked up a fresh xs650 engine

Dave Walters

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I just picked up a xs650 engine with a fresh rebuilt top end and new pistons and rings.

The pistons are stamped .25 on top so it has the first overbore.

Pulled the cylinders to clean off the red goo gasket sealer crap they used and I noticed the piston rings on the left cylinder were strange.

The left top ring had to 2 rings in the grooze while the right had the normal single ring.

I am leaning towards not trusting the other rings and just buying a new set.

Keep tuned for more info on this engine rebuild / buttoning up

Looks like that could be the case but there are still wipers in the bottom groove.

Literally there are 2 thin rings that fit in the top groove and I have no idea why they would do that.

But the right cylinder looks like normal rings. I need to find a good way to measure and see if the other rings are still good. I would like to only have to buy one set if it comes to that.

And they don't look like total seal rings. Just saw their site and their top rings have a step in one of the rings. These are 2 thinner rings that fit in the top groove.

I think you have just arrived at that moment when you know you can trust NOTHING the PO did.

My guess will be he broke a "new" ring and put in the two used oil scrapers from the used set to "get r done"
Key here is that he was a "get r done" kind O guy.

Wads of RTV were your first clue that he was clueless.

Yes, the silicone bandits strike again, lol. You can measure the ring end gaps to see if they're in spec .....

RingEndGap.jpg

I think you have just arrived at that moment when you know you can trust NOTHING the PO did.

My guess will be he broke a "new" ring and put in the two used oil scrapers from the used set to "get r done"
Key here is that he was a "get r done" kind O guy.

Wads of RTV were your first clue that he was clueless.

I agree with these statements. I think he was trying to get the motor back together with out using new gaskets so he broke out the RTV.

Yes, the silicone bandits strike again, lol. You can measure the ring end gaps to see if they're in spec .....

RingEndGap.jpg

Thank you. I hope I have time tonight to check these rings.

If you mean the end gaps, they're the same as the stock rings. Specs are in the factory shop manual which is on-line for free here .....

http://www.biker.net/

If not listed in the engine section, they are in the back appendix.

Back