just purchased a XS need some help.

NickB

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have just purchased a XS 650 that had been sitting for a long time and I noticed something that I did not hear when I purchased it. The engine is making a tinging noise like a bell or some type of metal hitting metal when it is running. It does not knock and there is no blow bye or smoke coming from the exhaust. I sounds to be coming from the top end and I am not really even sure if it is in the motor or up in the tank tunnel. Thought I would ask since this is my first run in with the bike I am hoping not to have to rebuild the motor yet. The bike has 14,000 miles right now I changed the oil and the first plug was clean but the second had some metal shavings built up on the magnet.

Thanks for any Info, Nick

People seem to agree that a very small amount of metal shavings is not an issue, unlike with a car.

The sound is most likely the cam chain adjustment. You have a lot of reading to do.

Ringing valves is SOP with an XS. More likely a problem if you DON'T hear them.........

Do the cam chain adjust and set the valves search in here for endless threads on the how to's

Thanks for the replies I will do some more research glad to hear that it's probably not a big deal. Getting excited to start building this bike I am finishing a drop seat sportster right now. I think I am going to go the brat kit rout with the XS 650.

Thanks, Nick

when engine is cold

1.Remove all four tappet covers and the
generator cover.
2.Turn the crankshaft to align the rotor
mark with the "T"mark on the stator.
3.This places the pistons at the top dead
center and the valve clearance should be
checked and adjusted at the top dead
center on the compression stroke by
observing when the valve adjusters have
clearance.
4.Use a feeler gauge to determine the
clearance.
Exhaust valve clearance (cold):0.15 mm (0.006 in)
Intake valve clearance (cold):0.10 mm (0.004 in)
5. Loosen the valve adjuster lock nut. Turn
the adjuster in or out to obtain the
correct clearance. Hold the adjuster to
prevent it from moving and throughly
tighten the lock nut.
6. Recheck the clearance after tightening. turn the engine over and recheck a few times. getting them set right the first time is rare. :thumbsup:

i had a similar sound as you decribe that was NOT the valves, much more high pitch and almost "harmonic" than the valves. the valves and more like tatatatatatatatata. this was like like "ding ding ding ding.... ding ding ding ding" very faint. anyways, it went away.

My Dads friend adjusted the valves and the chain for me today and the sound is gone and it is running like a top. I did notice it is leaking a little oil now from the cover where you adjust the chain but it sounds great.

Thanks for all the help, Nick

Back