Just Ride.

Should this ride thread be just a.... well, thread? Or should there be a dedicated Forum topic?

• Yes, it's own topic in the Forums

Votes: 19 90.5%
  • Nah... threads good enough.

Votes: 2 9.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Warmed back up a bit, high of 50F, a shirt being sold on FB, was 40 miles away so took the country roads route there...
Pretty much down to oaks with brown/russet leaves,
KIMG5039.JPGKIMG5040.JPGKIMG5042.JPGKIMG5038.JPGKIMG5037.JPG
Heated socks and grips was enough to stay cozy warm.
Beemer coming up on 95K miles
DST is Saturday night. Clocks fall back, dark at 4:45, yay:(!

What kind of shirt was it?
One worth an eighty-mile round trip. Mind you, when you're inventing reasons for a ride at this time of year, that don't mean much.

Now, shall I take his soldering iron back to Elliot this morning?

Last edited:
BEACH BUMS, HISTORIC BUILDS AND ELVIS!

What to do on Sunday? No pressure so a 'lie in bed' then decide.
Got up at 7.30am, late for me, ran a hot bath to contemplate the day whilst having a soak.
Mrs C calls out as I enter the bath 'You do realise the clocks went back'.
'Shit' I mutter under my breath as I slide into the water.

Getting dressed I look out the window to see the daylight coming out of the night gloom.
The rain has stopped and its the roads are dry.
Decision made; investigation into Taffy's misfire will have to wait. This could be the last ride of the season in the Autumn sunshine.
Time to get to the shop and get The Brat out for the day.

THE ROUTE...... Go West young man :
Drive down to the shop. Top up the tire pressures. Don leathers and away we go.
View attachment 254265
View attachment 254266

CARDIFF - COWBRIDGE - LLANTWIT MAJOR = 25 miles

A48 A fast wide road once out of the Cardiff sprawl, towards Cowbridge. Past scenic fields the road rises and drops over the fields.
Through pretty little villages such as Bonvilston with thatched covered stone cottages and even a vineyard!
Take a left at Cowbridge onto the B4270 towards LLantwit Major. A pretty village of mixed stone houses and shops.
View attachment 254274
Go through the Village which is just waking up, and follow the Beach Road.
A single track road for about 2 miles alongside a small river through a shallow valley. You can already smell the salt sea air on the approach.

LLANTWIT MAJOR BEACH.
The Cafe is not yet open so I park Taffy near the sea wall and go for a stroll along the cliff top. What a stupid idea in full leathers and boots! The sun is up The wind is blowing strongly from the western sea. Its cold but I'm sweating like a Monk in a Brothel in my biking kit!

View attachment 254267
View attachment 254268
View attachment 254269
View attachment 254270
Its mostly a pebble beach with some sand spits. A few early birds are taking their dogs for a :poo: on the beach!
The seafront Cafe has opened so I have breakfast of eggs and bacon toast and tea.
Time to move on.

LLANTWIT MAJOR - ST DONATS CASTLE = 3 miles:
Follow the coast road towards St Donats, along Dimlands Road. This 'B' road drops and rises through the trees that form a golden tunnel overhead. Autumn has arrived and is a glorious riot of red, gold and brown; this is my favorite time of year.
I ignore some of the smaller sea coves along the way.

St Donats Castle is now a UWC Atlantic Collage for students that wish to better mankind
More here: https://www.atlanticcollege.org/
Some famous names attended.

View attachment 254271
The castle is situated in a wonderful position. It has its own jetty and a sea pool that fills at high tide.
A popular venue for weddings for the well healed.

ST DONATS - NASH POINT LIGHTHOUSE = 3 Miles.
More 'B' road shenanigans through the trees; its not fast but very pleasant.
We quickly arrive at Nash Point Lighthouse.
View attachment 254272
A functioning lighthouse on the coast.

NASH POINT - SOUTHERNDOWN / DUNRAVEN CASTLE = 7 Miles.
The road opens up now as it follows close to the cliff tops. Its faster along here and fun.
View attachment 254275
Dunraven as it is now above. It has a strong position with its own beach Dunraven Bay.
Below is the same building as it was:
View attachment 254277
View attachment 254278
More here: https://glamorganhistoryandarchaeology.blogspot.com/2020/05/dunraven-castle-house-through-time.html

DUNRAVEN BAY / SOUTHERNDOWN
View attachment 254279
View attachment 254280
View attachment 254281
Above image is looking around the Southerdown headland towards Porthcawl in the distance.

SOUTHERNDOWN - OGMORE & OGMORE CASTLE = 5 Miles
A quick dash across the cliff tops to Ogmore. A lovely place to live if you like the coastal life.
At Ogmore the River Ogmore (Afon Ogwr in Welsh) empties into the sea over a sandy beach area.
It looks idyllic most of the time, but the tide can rip through here and takes no prisoners.
View attachment 254282
View attachment 254285

Below looking up the river towards the castle. Land is formed from natural sand dunes.
View attachment 254283

OGMORE CASTLE
This is probably my favorite castle due to its position on the river. Its a magical place to visit, and feels special.
View attachment 254286
View attachment 254287
View attachment 254288
View attachment 254289
Its is one of of a trio of castles linked castles that were a main defense against the Welsh.
The others are:

COITY CASTLE. Which is further inland.
View attachment 254290
View attachment 254291

NEWCASTLE BRIDGEND
View attachment 254292
View attachment 254293
You can read more about our heritage here: https://cadw.gov.wales/

PORTHCAWL = 9 Miles ............ Just because.
Porthcawl is a seaside holiday town today. Typical town promenade looking out to sea.
It has no great history, but does have one amazing feature.
View attachment 254294
That feature is....................

THE PORTHCAWL ELVIS FESTIVAL! The largest Elvis festival in the World! (Allegedly)
Every year during September over 40,000 people descend on this sleepy holiday town and it goes bonkers.
The Elvis enthusiasts dress up as The King and get Sh:poo:t faced.
View attachment 254295
View attachment 254296
View attachment 254297

I must admit I have never attended this event; but 50 people from my local pub, including the landlord and landlady spend three weeks there getting wasted!

The rain is now coming in from the West, so I leg it down the M4 East back to Cardiff. Thankfully I stay ahead of the rain and make it back dry. Back to Newport to meet the Sunday gathering in the pub for 'man chat' and beer.

A great ride of about 90 miles all in.

Cheers
Ads.

Boy Adam, you really set the bar high for the rest of us! Not many of us can match a ride like that for history and scenic beauty! I bet you’re lovin‘ that GS! ❤️

Warmed back up a bit, high of 50F, a shirt being sold on FB, was 40 miles away so took the country roads route there...
Pretty much down to oaks with brown/russet leaves,
View attachment 254532View attachment 254533View attachment 254534View attachment 254535View attachment 254536
Heated socks and grips was enough to stay cozy warm.
Beemer coming up on 95K miles
DST is Saturday night. Clocks fall back, dark at 4:45, yay:(!

And just like that…..the fall colors are over. 🙁 Still looks like a beautiful day of riding. 👍🏻

Just Fish? er….ride. 🤔

I’ve been trying to get back into fishing lately, something I used to enjoy when my kids were young.
To that end, I have dusted off my old fishing gear and bought some new lures and stuff and have been trying my darndest to catch some fish ( without much luck, I might add 🙁)
So I thought…..why not combine my two interests and take a ride to go fishing!
IMG_8982.jpeg
I loaded up a makeshift small tackle box and a collapsible rod and reel into my saddle bag and away I went. I rode up to lake Pleasant, about 35 miles away. The temperature was a beautiful 71 degrees when I got there.
IMG_9352.jpegIMG_9354.jpeg

This is me all covered up to keep the sun off me. Too many rounds of skin cancer for me to take sun exposure lightly. Yeah I can even cover the end of my nose if I want to.
IMG_9323.jpeg
I stomped around the edge of the lake and in and out of coves. The going was rough, the banks are steep and rocky and loose with no trails to walk on.
IMG_9355.jpegIMG_9356.jpeg

I didn’t catch any fish today, but I did see some wildlife. I heard a snort on the hill above me and looked up to see this wild donkey looking down at me, he continued to follow me along a ridge line and continued to snort at me, I guess I was intruding on him. I also saw a family of donkeys with a young one in tow. There are a ton of them all around the lake, you can hear them braying in the morning.
IMG_9358.jpegIMG_6342.jpeg

Also had a Great Blue Heron following me along, trying to catch some breakfast.
IMG_9327.jpeg
I finally left about lunch time and stopped for lunch on the way home. It was a really nice morning.
Sorry about the lack of motorcycle pictures, I’ll get ‘em next time! 😎

I let my bike sit for a loooong time. So I did some work over the weekend. Cleaned carbs, new pilot jets, new battery, cleaned fuel system, new fuel. Everything else was good, oil still new as I had only put 470 miles on it since last change. Dropped a fresh battery and set of plugs in…. Would you believe? Thing fired right up. Didn’t need much in the way of adjustment. So I am happy to say that I have had a couple of terrific trouble free rides.
Thanks to you guys in this forum for all the helpful information. 43 years, patina and all.
IMG_6720.jpeg

Just Fish? er….ride. 🤔

I’ve been trying to get back into fishing lately, something I used to enjoy when my kids were young.
To that end, I have dusted off my old fishing gear and bought some new lures and stuff and have been trying my darndest to catch some fish ( without much luck, I might add 🙁)
So I thought…..why not combine my two interests and take a ride to go fishing!
View attachment 254582
I loaded up a makeshift small tackle box and a collapsible rod and reel into my saddle bag and away I went. I rode up to lake Pleasant, about 35 miles away. The temperature was a beautiful 71 degrees when I got there.
View attachment 254570View attachment 254571

This is me all covered up to keep the sun off me. Too many rounds of skin cancer for me to take sun exposure lightly. Yeah I can even cover the end of my nose if I want to.
View attachment 254578
I stomped around the edge of the lake and in and out of coves. The going was rough, the banks are steep and rocky and loose with no trails to walk on.
View attachment 254572View attachment 254573

I didn’t catch any fish today, but I did see some wildlife. I heard a snort on the hill above me and looked up to see this wild donkey looking down at me, he continued to follow me along a ridge line and continued to snort at me, I guess I was intruding on him. I also saw a family of donkeys with a young one in tow. There are a ton of them all around the lake, you can hear them braying in the morning.
View attachment 254574View attachment 254580

Also had a Great Blue Heron following me along, trying to catch some breakfast.
View attachment 254583
I finally left about lunch time and stopped for lunch on the way home. It was a really nice morning.
Sorry about the lack of motorcycle pictures, I’ll get ‘em next time! 😎
Nice post Bob. I too combine fishing with bike riding (Post #3373); the GS1200 is perfect to cover distance and carry my Fly Fishing gear. Just the side Vario cases and Wet & Dry Fly rods across the top with the landing net. My fishing waist coat carries two reels and the small kit; waders and boots go in the cases. Its a great way to combine two of my hobbies. Catching a fish or two is always a bonus.

Back