K&N Air Filters for an '80 SG with stock air filter boxes.

azman857

'80 XS 650SG Rider
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
I need some new air filters. I've been thinking buying a set of these K&N's for the SG. Anyone using these or tried to? How are/were they? Good or bad experiences.

I've never tried the 650 ones but have used K&N airbox element replacements in several other bikes. They worked great so I don't see why they wouldn't in a 650 too. The only issue I have with them is their outrageous price, lol.

I will second 5twins comment. I have also used the replacement k&n filter for the stock air box and had no issues.

I buy uni foam sheets and install on the stock air filter frames.
uni-filter-cutting-diagram-xs650-jpg.118110

https://unifilter.com/online-catalog/accessories/

Last edited:
I put K&N filters in my stock XS650 airboxes about a hundred years ago. I like them just fine. They're guaranteed forever. Another hundred years ago I put a K&N in my XS1100 airbox. I bought it from a buddy for $5. It is also guaranteed forever. If it swells up, I just send it back for a new one. It's one and done. The bike runs as designed.

My 77D came with K + N filters in it. They were old and dirty, I simply washed them and let them dry, re oiled them and haven’t had to touch them since. They work great!

Back