K&N Filters a good idea?

XS-IVE Habit

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
It is time for me to change the filters on my bike. Are the K&N filters a good idea? I am NOT talking about Pod filters. I am talking about the drop in filters that go in my airbox. Should I expect a slight MPG increase?

I think the airbox replacements are a good idea if you don't mind the cost. On the plus side, you'll never need to replace them again. As long as you don't poke holes in them or something, they'll last the life of the bike.

I've used the airbox replacements on a couple other bikes and been very pleased. I never noticed better MPG but there is a slight performance increase. They claim you don't need to re-jet but you will get even more performance if you do. Nothing radical, just a size or 2 up on the mains. The filters alone will improve midrange power. Up the mains and you'll get more top end power as well.

I splurged for K&N replacement filter elements when I got my 650 last Spring; put them in my '94 Virago before that and liked them - pricey first cost but never need to buy filters again. The other thing I'd recommend doing at the same time is XSJohn's airbox modifications - they improve airflow both into the airboxes and then inside them, before the air passes through the filters. Without them, I don't think you'll get much of the benefit (other than long life) that the K&N filters offer.

Did you rejet Aldo?
I had installed a set of XSJohn's BS34 needles while in the process of cleaning the carbs, before I ever rode the bike. Also per his instructions, I put in 135 main jets (up one size from stock 132.5's) and enlarged the pilot jet to 46 from stock 42.5). These mod's work great on my bike, with stock exhaust, 18T front sprocket and 31T rear. Others use Canadian needles with much success (John's needles no longer available).

It is time for me to change the filters on my bike. Are the K&N filters a good idea? I am NOT talking about Pod filters. I am talking about the drop in filters that go in my airbox. Should I expect a slight MPG increase?

The In airbox K&N replacements are the best way to go known, as far as I'm concerned and I love em. I do not feed the crankcase vents to the boxes & carbs (just to help keep things clean and clear) and by-pass the vent gases.

I do dual purpose, high altitude dirt road/trail stuff mostly and need good filters that breathe & clean well. I do sense a performance gain but honestly I can't tell with this kind of riding whether I gain MPG. (I also use tetraethyllead octane boost to about a 97 rating equivalent btw)

Strong Opinion.....K&N's are numero uno! Blue

Back