Keihin carb kit mix screw

suiteo

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Quick question for anyone running Mike's Keihin kit. I'm still trying to dial these things in.

Which direction richens the mix, and which leans on the mix screw? I can't seem to keep the bike from running rich. Back to running a 35 slow jet and a 125 main jet.

Thanks,

J

Usually in is lean and out is rich. And a 35 pilot jet seems to be a little high, but I may be wrong.

According to the parts list on the Sudco site, this carb uses an air screw, not a true mixture or fuel regulating screw. That would mean out adds more air and is leaner, in would be richer.

See, that's what I found on some websites, but then found conflicting info on others. Thanks for clearing that up 5twins. Much appreciated.

manofsteele - I'm back to running the jet sizes that originally came in the carbs. A 30 slow jet was running really lean, and a 40 was fouling my plugs, although it ran better than before, so I'm trying to get the mix dialed in with the screws now. Learning as I go.... Just not as fast as I'd like. :)

J

I'm sure you guys have read the 13+ page manifesto on these carbs elsewhere on the site here. It might be time to start swapping needles.

Yeah, I think I've read every post regarding these carbs. Kind of wish I would have waited for the reviews to come in before pulling the trigger, but lesson learned. A new set of needles is definitely in the future. I just want to get the baseline dialed in first, and then fine tune from there. I've been battling a few other items before this, and I've been running so rich, I've fouled out the plugs, and now have a sticking float on the left side. Almost ready to throw in the towel and pull the stockers off the shelf, but I've laid out too much $$ to not use these. I'm sure I'll get them dialed in eventually. I thought my old carbs were the source of my problems before, but turns out my cam was off one tooth. Slowly eliminating all of the bugs, but its been a saga to say the least.

J

Back