Kick Only and Battery Sizes

Eckl

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I read elsewhere that if you run a kick only setup you can use a considerably smaller battery. Can anyone else verify this? Or have experience with it?

- for example this esp with LED blinkers, stop-tail light...the smaller the battery the more care should be taken about the potential for overcharging

1242593393.jpg

so detroit muscle are you running a pamco ignition, and anything else special or you litteraly running stock oem setup minus all the wiring with just front headlight and taillight?

Or the yamaha rd 350 battery.The rd battery is 5.5 amps and it is half the size of the Xs battery.Parts Unlimited battery is $15.00

Inxs, that battery will seriously clean up the lines of any bike. I'm looking into it now!

dont' forget though, it only takes a minimum amount to fire off these bikes, once the're running the alternator takes over , and charges the battery back up, wich meens if(and when) the chargeing system decides to quit, it will run off the battery untill its deader than a popcorn fart.
I'm running this one, kick only, blinkers head/tail. 24 bucks at del's feed. I only feel comfortable with half the capacity of the stocker.
Photo05151426-vi.jpg

When running one of these smaller batteries are most folks running stock charging systems with stock ignition? I've got a Brat 650 that I'm now putting back together after some frame mods and am now looking into a smaller battery since the original stock battery won't fit with the frame mods. I want to use what I have for now to save cash, hence the question. I'm planning on going kick only since, I understand that the starter motor won't run effectively on a smaller battery. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

i run a 0.8ah with stock charging system and points. it shouldn't matter what system you're running, just can't use the electric start..

if you start a cold bike with the kicker and use electric start after it's warmed up i bet you could run something like a 4AH. it's gonna drain it fast so it probably wouldn't crank a cold motor

Hey Jamesgs4, thanks for all the info on this. Going to make it happen on mine soon. Curious what shocks you are running on your brat? Sorry, if I missed it somewhere.

Last edited:
Back