kicker modification

jefft

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
Anyone bent a kickstarter to allow clearence for rearsets? Advice needed. Did you heat and bend with a long bar for leverage or use a heat and a hammer? I need just a bit of clearance to get around toe shifter. What about cutting it and adding a bit of length up near the spline to kick it out a bit?
jefft

Hey Jeff,

I was just about to start a kickstarter thread. I won't steal your thread but I'll suggest the kickstarter off an SR500 may be what you seek. It's bent out to clear? I have one and I'll check but it isn't stock, more race mod.

Tom

I have acquired a RD 400 kicker and knuckle and it is made for rearsets. It fits right on the XS spline but it too does not clear the toe shift lever either. I see a bend in the works but just not sure how I want to go about it. I'm just guessing but would think those SR kickers are few and far between. I am using Tarazzi rearsets.
jefft

By the way those Tarazzi's are nice. One thing I really like about them is they come with the splined fittings for the brake and shift shafts so that you don't have to cut your existing ones. I don't know of any other manufacturer who's does. The brake side splined lever angles up instead of down like most others which is away from the muffler. This is a big help for me because I am running commando pipes and they don't leave much room for a cut brake lever that angles downward.
jefft

Do you have the SR kicker on your bike with rearsets? Does it clear without any further modifications? I am hoping to find a kicker that will work before I resort to heat and bend.
jefft

Take a look at a Honda XBR500 kickstarter. Same spline. They clear Tarrozzi rear-sets.

This is what I've done on my current build and on build in the past. Simply, cut, bent and re-weld. The cast steel is good, so lends itself to welding quite readily, as long as it's V'd out properly.

BFF600D7-4456-40F4-89E3-CBED3B4EC16D_zpsmmrudr4r.jpg

4304809F-1313-42F7-AD3E-9367D834898D_zpszvi2qcpl.jpg

Back