Kicks on first try runs crappy over 5000 rpm (after jet kit install)

Brennecke

Cellar Rat
Reaction score
Ok, I will admit to being a noob. I read the carb guide and still went and bought a Sigma 6 Jet Kit, thinking that somebody would be able to give me a set of jets based on my description of mods elevation etc. I ride an 83 special with pods and open 2-1 pipes.

I got a kit with 145 mains, a set of 150 mains, a set of 47.5 pilots, some washer shims for needle adjustment and some drill bits. My guess is that I don't need a main that big, and that I have the wrong pilots for my bike.

After installing the jets (I used the 145s), the bike starts and idles ok, but breaks up over 5k.

The pilot I pulled out had side holes, the pilot I put in did not. Problem?

Am I correct that the needle on my bike cant be shimmed? Would this help with the 5k plus problem?

The kit also mentions clipping the spring and enlarging the holes or adding a new hole to to the slide. Good idea? I didn't try it.

I appreciate your help.

With the BS34's, your pilots should have holes in the sides and be the correct style. The stock needles can only be shimmed up making them richer. If you buy the canadian needles they can be adjusted and shimmed either direction. If your getting break up over 5000, wide open throttle, your jets are probably too rich. You can try running it wide open again and let off the throttle, to about 7/8 throttle, and if you get an increase in power you are too rich. That's quite a step up on the mains. Two or three sizes up should get you there. Don't know if you've seen this or not, but all the information you need is in here.
http://www.amckayltd.com/carbguide.pdf
You don't need to drill your slides. IMO anyway.

I have a similar set up with BS34's, 2-1, and pods. Mine took a 47.5 pilot, but the Shell #1 cam may have something to do with that. 47.5 is 2 sizes over stock, big but not overly so. Make sure your best idle is 3 to 3 1/2 turns out from.seated on the idle mix screws.
I have #142.5 mains and needles that are a LOT longer than your stock ones. I'd bet you would need something less than a #140 main to keep things happy, probably 135 or 137.5. The #145 jets were way too rich even with the really long XS Performance needles.

Back