Kickstart lever replacement cautions?

TeeCat

One-Mik Wonder
Reaction score
Hi, all...

I recently placed a Mike's order for some various bits, including a new shift lever and kickstart lever. I have had the shift lever off and on a million times, but with regard to the kickstart lever, it seems to me I read somewhere that you have to be careful about pulling it off so that you don't inadvertently disturb the kickstart shaft. Am I right? I won't get my parts til this coming week, but any needed clarification as to what I recall reading somewhere would be appreciated! I just don't want to step on my... uh... crank, here... :p Well... I mean, I do... but, you get me, right? :)

Thanks!

TC

It comes off just like the shift lever, no issues. I think the caution is about holding the kick shaft in when you take the right cover off.

Yes, that caution is for when removing the cover, not just the lever. As with the shifter, tapping a screwdriver into the slot to spread it will greatly aid in removal/install.

Guys, for those of you who are interested, the reproduction shift and kickstart levers from Mike's seem to be very nice quality. I just replaced my originals because, though they were serviceable and not unattractive, the shift lever just always seemed to be a little closer to the alternator cover than I'd like, and both levers just seemed to have more of a matte finish due to an apparently rougher casting.

The new ones are very smooth and bright chrome plate, more what you'd see on bars and fenders, as opposed to matte. And my shift lever also has more/proper clearance between it and the alternator cover; comparing the two, the original seems to have been deliberately bent, as of to accommodate a PO's position.

Anyway... a few nice bits added to what I've replaced/upgraded. Thought this might help others... nice pieces and nicely priced.

TC

Even if the kick shaft comes off with the right cover it isn't a big deal to put it back in. I've actually gotten pretty good at it the last couple times I took mine apart. The key is to have a large white 8" or 10" long zip tie. Position the kick shaft in it's location. The kick spring hook will be at about 7:00 as you look at it. Position the "U" shaped portion of the kick clip in it's notch. Make a loop with the zip tie and hook it on the return spring. Now, while keeping the kick shaft in place with your left hand, curl your finger into the zip tie loop and pull it around (clockwise) to hook the kick spring on the retainer. Done deal.

TeeCat, the next time I take my right side cover off I'll take pics and provide a write-up. I just need to scrape a few dollars together so I can order new clutch springs from 650central. Once I get them it'll be a breeze to make it happen.

That'd be great, bd... I'm sure that little trick would be widely appreciated here! I know it has come up before and it'd be great to have a go-to workaround for it. Thank you! :)

I did a similar thing for replacing a crank seal without splitting the cases, as it can be done, and I saw no sense in allowing people to labor (commonly?) under the impression that it cannot.

Thanks for this tip!

TC

I'd like to know if anyone who has read my description of how to do it can chime in on their results. Just curious if my instructions are clear enough.

Back