kill switch wire gauge question

MN_Bobber

79 XS650 Newb
Reaction score
If I understand the manner in which an aftermarket kill switch should work, the power comes through the fuse block, up the wire into the kill switch then down into the coil. When you turn on the kill switch, you interupt the circuit and therefor the coil loses power and cuts out the motor. Is this right?

Second - the aftermarket kill switch I got has small wiring coming out of it, maybe 20 gauge, is this substantial enough to carry the load without overheating?

Thanks everyone!

Sean

Does your switch have one wire or two? Some after market kill switches are just that and ground the wire coming in to the handlebars when pushed. They will have only one wire.

it's a combo kill switch and starter switch. There are actually two wires associated with each function. So, two wires for the kill function and two wires for the start button function (which I'm using for the horn - besides the point though).

There is a little "nub" inside the switch that contacts the handlebars, so I ground a small bit of paint away so it's contacting bare metal, but I'm not sure if I needed that or not.

Any advice is appreciated, guys! Thanks!

Back