Kill switch wiring

Prizm94

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I’ve been trying to find a way to add a kill switch to the handlebars, can anyone offer me insight to if this will work? I currently have one (kill switch, flip) under the seat for the coil, but I’d like to kill the bike from the handlebar. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• BFD588F8-B017-4721-B455-A01C8AF3D809.png
    BFD588F8-B017-4721-B455-A01C8AF3D809.png
    208.7 KB · Views: 166
It might help to know what electrical system (charging, ignition) you're running, but if a stock(ish) XS system you could come off the existing "flip" (toggle?) switch and instead of going to coil+, run the wire to the input side of a bar mounted kill sw. and then output side of bar sw. back to coil+

It is an 83 has 0 wiring as of right this moment, it has a Pma, with a reg/rec and non mechanical points, electrical start

Below is a very basic schematic for those components. This particular example uses a 3 position key switch for "on" & "start", but other methods can be used including the stock RH bar switch with kill and start functions. Keep the kill in between whatever main switch ya use (key, toggle, etc) and coil+. I would not use an additional kill ahead of the "non-mech. points". If you use stock RH switch for starter button, it uses the blue/white wire to the solenoid (rather than it being directly grounded as below).
xs650 PMA TP.jpg.png

Just a mention that a "kill switch" grounds the alternator ignition coil output. They date back to magneto systems where it grounds the mag output. In unified alternator type bikes (like the XS650, even with PMA, and most street bikes) it's realy an ignition on switch, providing +12 to the hot coil terminal, the other coil terminal is supplied with a timed ground connection through points or some other type of electronic ignition.

Back