Kups650: new member from Baltimore, MD

Kups650

wally
Reaction score
Hello all,

I've been searching the internet on some more info about the bike that I have just inherited. My good friend Kup (pronounced Coop) passed away from cancer a couple months ago and left his 71 XS650 chopper to me. He did an awesome job on his build and I look forward to carrying the torch.

I am not new to motorcycles, but I am more of a car guy. I plan on researching what he has done and hope to keep the project going as he would have wanted it.

Here is a phone pic until i get more detailed pictures with a real camera.

Thanks.

Kups650

Attachments

• XS650.jpg
    XS650.jpg
    315.1 KB · Views: 252
Welcome. Lots of great info on here. Don't forget to check out all the goodies in the "Tech" section, especially in the maintenance and troubleshooting threads. Great stuff to read up on.
Looks good, I like the lunch box.

Thanks for all of the comments guys. My buddy would be stoked to see comments on his bike if he could be here to see it. The lunch box/battery combo is an awesome addition. I won't get a huge chance to wrench on it until spring, but id like to add some shorty mufflers or baffles to the pipes. Rear brakes need some adjustment, and the carb bowl drain plugs leak so there are some random fixes to perform.

I think one day, i'll pull it apart and paint the frame as it is bare metal is some spots, as well as give the tank a paint job in the colors that he wanted. I have a rear fender that I may mess around with as well.

Correction, looks like i have a 77.

Manufacture date on headtube is 12/76 and the carbs are joined with a linkage. :thumbsup:

Attachments

• XS650small.jpg
    XS650small.jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 158
Kups, welcome again!

Might I just extend my condolences on the loss of your friend. It looks as if his bike is in good hands, though. What a great way to keep your mate alive in your heart as well as your garage! This is a great story being written as we speak, you know?

Again, warmest possible welcome here.

TC in Ellicott City

Last edited:
Thanks so much. Kup was definitely excited about this build. We spoke about a year ago of what would happen if, and i said that i didnt want to think about it. We had just gotten back from a hot rod show.

I remember a few details of what he wanted to do, so i'll use the colors that he wanted (Burgundy and Cream) and try to locate a 32 ford style tail light lense with "Stop" in it.

I appreciate the kind words, this will be a slow work in progress.

I'll post up some of my car pics as well sometime if anyone is into cars.

Burgundy and cream is a great color combo!

Car discussion is welcome too. I have a tubbed '85 Mustang GT that I have not started in about 5 years, and will need to decide what do do about it in the spring when I retire.

TC

Nice bike and welcome to the site.As we get older we start to lose our Friends.
Make me a little sad I must say. I as well extend my condolences for your loss of Your Friend. She will look great in that color scheme. And I like the lunch box too. Kup will be happy that you are lovin n carin for her. These old bikes that we have need all the TLC they can get.I hope you have as much fun as I do workin n ridin yours as I do mine. Ed :cheers:

Here is some good reading for you
Carbs - Carburetors
CV Carbs - one of the best how-to manuals ive found for the original carbs
http://www.amckayltd.com/carbguide.pdf

VM Carbs - the same for mikuni roundslide carbs
www.amckayltd.com/VM34-36.pdf

Carb Basics - a quickie
http://star.walagata.com/w/sundialmo...full_hints.pdf

Carb Theory - a nice basic theory description for carb jetting
http://www.iwt.com.au/mikunicarb.htm

Mikuni VM - mikuni manual
http://www.mikuni.com/pdf/vmmanual.pdf

CV tuning...link for low rev and high rev motors
http://www.factorypro.com/tech/carbtun.html

Awesome, thanks!

agreed, its way too young to start losing friends, especially when its an illness.

I will keep everyone posted on the progress once I start wrenching. I'll be hookingup with Denis (Fong Brothers) most likely in the spring time I hope.

must have been a good friend cause i would want to be buried on mine!
Welcome, im not to far from you and have bunch of misc parts, let me know if i can help.

Wally, It's Denis. I can give you some info on the bike because Kup and I spoke a number of times as he was building it. As a matter of fact, I just came across the original tail section from this bike. It's been sitting in the trunk of my General Lee since the day I went to Kup's house to show him how to set up the wiring. I trued the wheels on this bike for him also and didn't even want anything, but he gave me a bag of parts anyway in exchange. Email me again and I can try to tell you whatever I can remember he and I discussing as he was building. Also, I know this is a lonsot, but I want to get a pic of him on or working on the bike for the article I write for a magazine.

Denis, I really appreciate it. General Lee? what are the odds that you're also a Mopar guy?

I actually took pics of Kup last December, but I believe his camera went back to Iowa with his belongings. I plan on getting any pictures that I can. Give me a bit, I already felt bad asking for the title with his greiving family. His sister is a huge help and I know she'll be happy to get pictures to me.

I'll email you ASAP.

Checking in:

I'm sure everyone heard from the giveaway thread, but I landed a set of Pandemonium pipes for Kup's bike.

http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?p=148567#post148567

Here is a picture of my buddy on it, I took the picture of him in December 2010 when we went to the indoor hot rod show at Timonium fairgrounds together. It was one of the last moments we had together.

This is when he told me that if anything happened, he would want me to have the bike. I couldn't talk about the possibility at the time. :(

Attachments

• Lawrence on cycle.jpg
    Lawrence on cycle.jpg
    176.5 KB · Views: 178
  • Lawrences cycle.jpg
    Lawrences cycle.jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 143
Back