KZ750 wheel query

pago cruiser

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Figured I'd start a thread just on this wheel. Without too much effort, its the easiest was to get a cush drive disc brake hub on an XS650, with your choice of wire wheel sizes. Kopcicle got me started with this :cautious:, and I'm still moving forward, albeit at the speed of continental drift...

So I got the beat to sh!t rim off, and am fitting it out with a 17x3 Excel wheel eventually. Problem is, the steel sprocket flange on the brake side is actually screwed onto the aluminum hub. Really tight. Too tight to get off without risk of damaging the spoke flange. Never seen a wheel before with a screwed on flange for half the sprokes. I've been trying to get it off to powder coat, but I may just have to leave it on and hope for the best. My concern is that steel and aluminum have significantly different rates of expansion, and I'm not sure what will happen after cooking the threads and the (assumed) thread lock compound at 400 F for half an hour...:umm: Anybody done anything similar?

I checked Bike Bandit, and they still show parts for this (76-79); but the pic they show does NOT match this hub. But I've also checked ebay the last several weeks, and whenever a 76-79 hub pops up, it looks identical. So I'm pretty sure the hub is indeed off that 76-79 KZ750.

IMG_5213.jpg

Here is the other side that takes the sprocket. Note that it does NOT take a XS650 sprocket; KZ750 only, and I could only find them in aluminum.

IMG_5215.jpg

I'm also trying to fit a lighter rear rotor. After I trimmed the stock rotor down about 1/2" diameter (don't quote me on that...) I swear that the stock rotor must weigh 7 lbs. The Duc rotor in the next pic weighs about 2. Now just need to adapt a brembo caliper. It should work....:wink2:

IMG_5214.jpg

Figured I'd start a thread just on this wheel. Without too much effort, its the easiest was to get a cush drive disc brake hub on an XS650, with your choice of wire wheel sizes. Kopcicle got me started with this :cautious:, and I'm still moving forward, albeit at the speed of continental drift...

So I got the beat to sh!t rim off, and am fitting it out with a 17x3 Excel wheel eventually. Problem is, the steel sprocket flange on the brake side is actually screwed onto the aluminum hub. Really tight. Too tight to get off without risk of damaging the spoke flange. Never seen a wheel before with a screwed on flange for half the sprokes. I've been trying to get it off to powder coat, but I may just have to leave it on and hope for the best. My concern is that steel and aluminum have significantly different rates of expansion, and I'm not sure what will happen after cooking the threads and the (assumed) thread lock compound at 400 F for half an hour...:umm: Anybody done anything similar?

I checked Bike Bandit, and they still show parts for this (76-79); but the pic they show does NOT match this hub. But I've also checked ebay the last several weeks, and whenever a 76-79 hub pops up, it looks identical. So I'm pretty sure the hub is indeed off that 76-79 KZ750.

IMG_5213.jpg

Here is the other side that takes the sprocket. Note that it does NOT take a XS650 sprocket; KZ750 only, and I could only find them in aluminum.

IMG_5215.jpg

I'm also trying to fit a lighter rear rotor. After I trimmed the stock rotor down about 1/2" diameter (don't quote me on that...) I swear that the stock rotor must weigh 7 lbs. The Duc rotor in the next pic weighs about 2. Now just need to adapt a brembo caliper. It should work....:wink2:

IMG_5214.jpg

Hi pago,
as I understand it, the threaded-in steel ring that the brake disk bolts onto will be on the right-hand side of the bike?
And it was mounted the same way on the Kawi?
If so, the insert is probably held in with a left-hand thread.
If it was originally mounted the reverse way it'll have a normal thread but don't worry about removing the insert.
The first serious rear brake application will most likely spin it out anyway.

Back