Lacing 64 spoke wheels

ratfinkd1

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I have a 21" rim I wanna lace to my xs hub. It a 64 spoke rim and hub. I just need some guidance I'm doing this. Can anybody explain this to me? Every shop I asked in Austin doesn't lace wheels they send them out. I wanna learn to do it myself not pay someone to.:confused:

It's easy, you just have to take your time with it. I actually like doing it.

Find a big pic of the finished product, print it, and keep it next to you when you lace the new rim so you can easily get the pattern right. Or take a pic of your existing wheel if you haven't taken it apart, yet. The spoke pattern will be the same.

If you're not going to use the existing spokes, use a bolt cuter and cut them off. That will save you the 30 minutes.

Take your new spokes and separate them into two piles to make things easier for ya. There will be two different types (based on the bends in them). Some go from the inside of the hub, some from the outside. It should be obvious if you're using the right one when you stick it through and line it up with the rim hole.

Now start putting the spokes on, finger tightening the nipples a few turns on each spoke. Get them all into the rim, verify that your pattern is correct, finger tighten all of them equally.

Put it on the truing stand, true it up. Google it, maybe watch some videos on YouTube. Doesn't matter if you're reading about bicycles or motorcycles, it's the same process. Bike nerds are usually more nerdy about it.

You'll need a spoke wrench and a truing stand. If you have basic fabrication skills you can make the latter yourself.

Enjoy.

THanks I found a video of a guy doing a 64 spoke and a good picture also. Going to send the rim and hub to the powder coater next week. Ill let you know how it went.

Here's a pretty good video specific to the 64 spoke rim .....

It is a bit more complex than a normal 36 or 40 spoke type. I would recommend measuring rim to hub offset before dis-assembly so you can match it with the new rim. Again, yours will be a bit more difficult because you're also changing rim size. Basically, you'll want to determine center of current rim offset and set the new rim's center the same.

yeah I saved this video to my favs already. The hubs were given to me already cut out of rims so I'll have to fly blind on measuring. I have a couple of weeks until this happens. So i'm hoping to keep this thread near the top for any help or suggestions. I'm almost finished reshaping the inside of the hub I had a guy mill out the center casts and have hand filed it the rest of the way down. Once thats done I'll send to the powder coater. I'll post pictures of the hub I did and the work I did on the tank that had horrible welds for the mounts and across the bottom. Lots of work but also lots of learning.

Back