Laggy Hydraulic Clutch Engagement

ninskrillz

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hey guys,

As some of you may know I just bought a 71, and have had some quirks to work through. The bike came equipped with a HHB Hydraulic Clutch Conversion. The first bike I ever owned had a hydraulic clutch, although I can't really remember the characteristics of that clutch.

The problem I am having with this setup is a laggy engagement. It seems when I release the lever and roll the throttle, it sorta hangs until engagement. This is especially noticeable when getting on it and shifting through the gears. Eventually it revs for a good couple seconds before engaging fully.

It also seems as though the pull on the clutch is really hard, even though it supposed to be easier with hydraulic system. I emailed Hugh about this one and he suggested disassembling the worm gear and cleaning/greasing it. Still havent gotten to that. Will doing this also help the laggy engagement?

Any help and advice is always appreciated!

Ok, just took the bike around the block a few times. It seems the problem is mostly in the higher gears at a high rpm. Noticeable mostly from 3rd to 4th and 4th to 5th when quickly accelerating.

sounds like you need a new cltch. If the hydraulic master was to blame, it would slip in all gears. just the same, re-bleed the hydro clutch when you get new clutch plates.
Consider going back to mechanical clutch. A adjusted properly clutch isn't much different than a hydro.

sounds like you need a new cltch. If the hydraulic master was to blame, it would slip in all gears. just the same, re-bleed the hydro clutch when you get new clutch plates.
Consider going back to mechanical clutch. A adjusted properly clutch isn't much different than a hydro.

Apparently the bike has a brand new clutch. Springs and 8 plate clutch by barnett. I considered switching back to mechanical. What parts would I need to make the switch? Just a perch and a cable?

Yeah just went through the receipts that came with the bike it should have a new basket, plates, and springs.

Back