Lean angle when on side stand

Badfish

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I tacked this note on another thread as a response and didn't get any traction with the responses. So, I'm posting up as a new thread to hopefully get some comments. I have been reading through other threads to get a handle on a safe or ideal or minimum lean angle for our bikes both lowered and stock when on the side/kick stand and haven't seen anyone mention what exactly their lean angle is. Guys have made numerous comments about too much or not enough or just not right.

So, what is too much (duh, if the bike falls over it's too much)? What isn't enough? What is factory spec? And what have guys set up on lowered bobbers?

Is everyone just eyeballing when they say they felt the angle of their bike was "off" or good when on the side/kick stand or has anyone taken an angle finder tool and actually measured the angle that was "too much" and then measured "just right"?

Here's mine. The lean angle is 9 degrees.

So, what's the ideal angle to keep the bike the most stable?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    219 KB · Views: 649
Good question! I have wondered the same!

My bike is a bit lower than stock, and I still have the stock side stand, my lean is there but I'mnot sure if it's enough. I suppose it depends on what angle you park it on?

Yes it does totally depend on the surface. I'm focused on a flat surface to start.
Your typical garage floor as a baseline.

15 degrees. Seems good.

Jd750ace, can you get a measurement?

Anyone else grab a measurement or know what the factory intended by design?

When I brought my bike home after buying it, I was surprised how much lean angle it had when on the side stand. Something like 20 degrees. I figured maybe I had it strapped down too tight on the trailer and possibly bent the side stand. Found another side stand, swapped it, and it was exactly the same. The only thing I thought that could case that was that my bike was sitting higher than normal (frame to ground distance) for whatever reason.

I found a guy with a 79 Special and measured his. His tilt angle was 12 degrees and it was stable and looked right. For me to get the same angle, I had to attach a 1 inch pad ( I used nylon) on the bottom of my kickstand and now it sits right.

Another factor might be that your forks don't always extend the same amount when you get off the bike. This could be caused by "stiction" and would change the "parked" height of your frame, and thus the lean angle.

Just my 2 cents.........

i have 2 '81sh and one leans pretty normal i would guess. the other had much more of a lean. i checked to make sure that the kickstand wasn't loose. couldn't figure it out until i noticed the one that had a big lean had longer rear shocks.

I didn't like my stockish lean because it was so unstable sometimes. Like when parking on steep streets. It never fell over but it seemed like it would. So when I finished my project I put a lot of lean in mine to keep it more stable. I messed up my right knee and now I kick with my left. The lean makes it much easier to do.

IMG_1533.jpg

Here's one go, no go. On a flat surface turn the front wheel to right full lock, bike should not be tippy on side stand.

Phail - that's some lean. Have you measured that out? Would like to know what you've set it to.

gggGary- I come across that before in a thread. Turning right should be as stable as to the Left. That would be a good place to start.

Still would like to know what the factory designed, I've reviewed clymer and Hanes and other threads here with no luck.

It's very hard to say what the factory set all the bikes are 30 + years old, tires changed etc. I have had to bend that frame section back away to get the sump plate out on a few bikes. Don't know if it's from accidents, kick starting while on the side stand, or other foolishness.... I use a big chunk of hardwood and a sledge on the opposite side and smack away till the sump clears the frame.

I bet 5twins know...
phail- I like the placement of your mirrors. Did you attach them through the holes that were the holes for the gage cluster mount? If you did no go for me. I epoxied idiot lights for turn indicators in them.

Took some photos of my lean. I love my lean for kickstarting using my left leg since I blew up my right knee. I don't have to worry about the bike falling over when I'm kicking now.

I don't really know how to work this level thing but it says 66.5 on my fork leg with my wheel straight:
CAM00159.jpg

Leaning:
CAM00160.jpg

And the kickstand with my camera flat on the floor:
CAM00161.jpg

angus67: yeah I used the gage cluster holes. Works pretty good. But if I get those narrow trees I'll have to figure out something else. ;-)

I've never seen a lean angle documented in any manual for any bike. I'm sure the factories have those numbers and do design their bikes with a certain angle, but it's not something they pass along to the general public. I just kinda know by looking at a bike if it is leaning too much or not enough. When I installed longer rear shocks on my 650, it leaned too much. I "fixed" it by welding some steel plate to the bottom of the sidestand .....

ModdedSideStand.jpg

I also modified my tang so it hits on the factory headpipe mount on the frame. This stops it from going too high and hitting the bottom of the engine .....

SidestandTang.jpg

5twins.

I figured the factory didn't bother to share this bit of info. Most people don't bother with these little details. Even so, I'm curious about what angle your bike is now set to lean. You have a way to measure it like Phail or I did?

Back