led headlight reviews

vernk

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Who has them either whole unit or just led bulbs for the halogen replacement.

I'm just thinking my sealed bulb/housing unit wasn't as bright as my 300 lumen single led single AA battery powered flashlight. I saw the led post done here earlier and the same Cree led can be had for 20$ @ 1500 lumens.

Only problem I see is that my flashlight will cut out when too hot until its cool again.

So who has what and Ur thoughts?

Maybe ill just make a mount for two of my flashlights and alternate when they cut out :)

^. They were $700+ a few years back. Currently around $200?
They were developed as a military application. I was hoping maybe some of the troops that had experience with them would give a review, but so far the only thing I've read is people wanting them.

Me too. The idea was to take advantage of technology. I've read a few bad reviews of the drop in led replacement bulbs for halogen units. That trucker unit is reviewed on you tube I believe. Don't sound like a good review

:popcorn:

Can't recall that I have ever bought a motorcycle headlight, I sure have swapped bulbs and parts around to get a good working unit though.

I did buy an HID unit, put it in a shell and did an "in the garage" comparo. It looked good but still haven't driven behind it. Even the small power packs are hard to find room for. I do like the HID's on my Prius. After I got through the first batch of bad bulbs they supplied.

TruckLite unit is just over $200. I would have never considered it if I hadn't seen one in person. I can tell you the thing is BRIGHT. But not obnoxious. It has a clean cut line, with almost no wash above it. Light is very white, not blueish. Only pulls about 2A on low beam, vs around 5A for a halogen. Hopefully I'll be ready for it towards the end of the year. Considering one for the V-Star as well.

The Mil-spec LED lamps are different. Those are the first generation of the technology, same thing Kuryakan is selling. Those suck by comparison to the TruckLite units.

I trimmed the case of one of these and mounted it inside my triangle headlight, much brighter than the h1 bulb that came with it.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-10W-Cree...898198?pt=US_Car_Lighting&hash=item3a834bfc16
$(KGrHqJ,!pIFH)q0FjThBR84LSUI3w~~60_3.jpg

1388680940.jpg

Last edited:
Who has them either whole unit or just led bulbs for the halogen replacement.

I'm just thinking my sealed bulb/housing unit wasn't as bright as my 300 lumen single led single AA battery powered flashlight. I saw the led post done here earlier and the same Cree led can be had for 20$ @ 1500 lumens.

Only problem I see is that my flashlight will cut out when too hot until its cool again.

So who has what and Ur thoughts?

Maybe ill just make a mount for two of my flashlights and alternate when they cut out :)

Heat is always the issue with LED, Let me know if you want a parts list for one of these. I don't have much interest in making them as its tough to profit from it.

http://sevensixfabrication.com/collections/frontpage/products/led-motorcycle-head-lamp-bulb

I am currently using trucklite in my Buell Cyclone. the headlight is phenomenal. was a direct plug in without any rewiring necessary.

here is the link.
http://www.badweatherbikers.com/buell/messages/47623/724384.html?1375801862

I imagine it would work great in an XS, but I have not tried (I have a 78XS650 bone stock and like to keep it that way). one side benefit of LEDs is that the power consumption is much lower. this light should consume about half of the original halogen. this maybe a consideration for those who run accessories or have a weak generator.

Back