LED lights

jerry57g

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you have to do anything extra to convert a 75 to use aftermarket LED head/tail lights? I've heard that you might have to add some resistors in the circuit but haven't seen anything positive either way. Also how big a battery do you need to run lights. Would the one from Mike's work? Bike I'm building has no electric starter. So all I need is lights, and then for only occasional use not for after dark long time riding. (Day cruiser/trip thing)

Resistors are for the turn signals. Led headlight no problem.

As for the battery, personally wouldn't go much below a 2ah SLA battery because with the original mechanical regulator any glitch that put the full output of the alternator to the battery could permanently damage the battery or even cause it to explode.
The field current for the rotor puts quite a load on the battery when the key is on but engine not running. left that way with even led lights could drop the voltage of the battery to the point it will not excite the alternator.

2ah SLA is very small and light compared to the stock electric start battery.https://www.amazon.com/12V-Sealed-Lead-Acid-Battery/dp/B00ANT0GGQ

My $0.02 worth

edit- Yamaha used a 5.5ah battery for the non electric start xs1

Battery Amp Hour Capacity:5.5
Length (in):5.313 in.
Width (in):2.375 in.
Height (in):5.125 in.
Weight:4.300 lbs.

Last edited:
No need for resisters if you use a electronic blinker can. WJL a 70 is all LED on the stock charging and that small early Battery. :thumbsup:

No need for resisters if you use a electronic blinker can. WJL a 70 is all LED on the stock charging and that small early Battery. :thumbsup:
I had no problem with rear LED blinkers and an electronic flasher but when I added front LED blinkers I also had to add the resister.

I had no problem with rear LED blinkers and an electronic flasher but when I added front LED blinkers I also had to add the resister.
Not all cans are equal. I'll see if I can find a # for the can that works with all LED. I had some fun trying to use some turn signals that used LED running and sequential, turn, brake lights. Had to give up on the running lights as I was leaving on a trip. Will get back to figuring out that conundrum some day.

Back