LED turn signals wiring help - both flashing at same time

XSFazz

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hey guys,

So I have a 78 Special, and I have a single indicator for both turn signals.

I bought the SuperBrightLEDs flasher that everyone has (LFS-1) and both of the turn signals work fine. I bought an instrument panel bracket and hooked up 3 LEDs to where the stock idiot box lights were. The head and neutral indicators work perfect. The turn signals -- when I put the left turn signal on, the left turn signal blinks but the indicator doesn't light up. When I put the right turn signal on, both turn signals flash BUT the indicator light also flashes. You can also see on the first blink the LED looks like it isn't at full power yet. So I did some searching and I tried the diode method in this thread but no luck:

http://xs650temp.proboards.com/thread/14671

I made a quick mockup and hooked up the wires loosely (they are all making contact of course), and the result of this was that both turn signals lit up no matter which side I turned on. The 2 wires in the top of this pic went to the L and R turn signal power (I just plugged them right in to where the stock light wires were previously removed from. Then the diodes to a single wire that attached to the power of the indicator light in, and then the power and ground of the indicator light to the 2 wires for that light from the idiot light box.

IMG_2543_zps3b24b613.jpg

Here's a demo (WITHOUT the diodes yet)

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/93blueturbo/media/Yamaha XS650 Build/IMG_2539_zps7ed465ba.mp4.html

Can anyone see what I am missing here?

Much appreciated guys!

Sounds like you're on the right track but let me run through the wiring and see if that's what you have. The two wires that originally went to the indicator light came from the signal power leads(dark green and dark brown). Those you have going to the in side of the diodes which is correct. The out side of the diode setup goes to the positive side of the led indicator. The other lead from the led indicator gets grounded. Sound like what you have?

Actually I got it!!

So I had to NOT connect the wires from the original idiot box harness, and JUST connect the R & L positive wires to the diodes, into the positive of the indicator light, and then just grounded the indicator light inside the bucket. I previously had the idiot light harness wires hooked up to this connection as well which was the issue.

Works like a charm!!! Problem is, when I was putting the headlight back in it slipped out of my hands and hit against the frame, cracking it :doh:

So I just ordered the Mike's 7" H4 headlight, and then the wiring will be all done (for now).

Thanks grinder for the help. One less thing to worry about! Now if I could just figure out how to bleed my damn brakes. :banghead:

Back