Left side not firing all of a sudden, but has good spark.

Rip_ride

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hey there. So after letting my XS sit for a week in the garage, I started her up to find that the left side wasn't firing. Checked the spark and it was good. Thought it might be the carbs so I pulled them out, gave em a good clean and re-installed. Same problem, have spark but no fire. Strapped on the sync gauges and I'm getting a reading so somethings getting through. Left pipe isn't completely cold but almost. What's the deal here, both sides were firing fine a week ago, then all of a sudden I loose the left? Can anyone gimme a clue?

Thanks,

put in a new plug, a plug can fail to fire under compression and throw good spark out in the open...
a old timers ( ir1) trick is to pull the non firing sides spark plug cap about a 1/4" off the plug while running, it may start firing cleaning the fouled plug as it gets warmed up

Last edited:
Hey there. So after letting my XS sit for a week in the garage, I started her up to find that the left side wasn't firing. Checked the spark and it was good. Thought it might be the carbs so I pulled them out, gave em a good clean and re-installed. Same problem, have spark but no fire. Strapped on the sync gauges and I'm getting a reading so somethings getting through. Left pipe isn't completely cold but almost. What's the deal here, both sides were firing fine a week ago, then all of a sudden I loose the left? Can anyone gimme a clue?

Thanks,

I've had a similar problem in the past with my Honda CB450 twin. Turned out to be my float needed adjusting. No fuel to that cylinder. Could be a bit of gunk in the float jet. Remove the float bowl and check there's fuel in it.

i second changing the plug, have had brand new plugs refuse to fire under compression, but seemed fine in the open air. always the last thing you check, too

That is strange that we are all experiencing the same problem! When I noticed mine, I pulled the plug and it was soaked! I figured it fouled for whatever reason and burned it off with the torch, then cleaned and re-checked the gap. Checked and had good blue spark when grounded so I knew the coil and the plug were good. re-installed it and again only the right side fired and idled on one cylinder. repeated the entire procedure and finally got it to fire with a lot of smoke coming from the left side until it burned it out. So Im stumped.

If you have the stock vacuum petcock check for a torn petcock diaphragm. It will let a bunch of raw fuel into the LH cylinder through the vacuum line. That and float valves are common issues has the gas tank/petcock(s) ever been cleaned? New fuel lines?

What carbs do you have?

Back