Yeah I was watching that one too. It was in pretty rough condition, yikes! šŸ˜³
Just went back and looked at the auction pics. Yes there were quite a few ā€œblemishesā€ - especially on the tank. I guess the bike caught someoneā€™s eye. The seller should be happy walking away with that bag of cash. Did you notice the steering stop and location of the passenger pegs. Youā€™d have to be a contortionist to ride on the back of it. Wasnā€™t my thing, glad the seller and new owner will be happy.

IMG_3985.png

Last edited:
Well, if the seller was accurate... and I've no reason to doubt him, it was a '71 chopped into that back in the seventies. Far as owning a piece of chopper motorcycle history... not some 2023 knockoff... I recon that was a fair price. Mind you, I wouldn't pay that, but I can definitely see the appeal.

...are our non-stock XS650s going up in value???:laughing:
YES! they are.:thumbsup: With the money from the sale of my "First Tracker" I plan on buying a island in the Caribbean and retiring all over again and I`m going to save all the money from the "Last Tracker" in case Elon Musk ever needs a loan.:yikes:

Last edited:
The discussion of "value" always amuses me... There is no way to set "value" on the satisfaction of taking a "display piece" to a reliable rider. No "value" can be assigned taking a well worn m/c to look and ride like nearly new. I do appreciate the accurate restorations and the fact they do draw good $. My value is the fun, accomplishment of a project that goes on the and rides well.

That 71? tank scheme is my favorite.
I"m actually thinking about doing up my 78 like that with the white stripe..
I'm debating to paint it in or just use vinyl to go over the burgundy I will paint the tank.

That paint scheme is my favorite too! ā¤ļø
Did you ever see the paint job @Jim did for my old ā€˜72 XS2? Done up in the traditional ā€˜72 colors, but the ā€˜71 scheme, beautiful!
IMG_6605.jpegIMG_6625.jpegIMG_6627.jpeg

That paint scheme is my favorite too! ā¤ļø
Did you ever see the paint job @Jim did for my old ā€˜72 XS2? Done up in the traditional ā€˜72 colors, but the ā€˜71 scheme, beautiful!
View attachment 259405View attachment 259406View attachment 259407
Yes I did!
I'm only doing tank and side panels.
The tank had the emplem mounting bondo'd over so I was thinking to paint the original Burgundy then do the white on the tank in vinyl then the sideways U with vinyl on the side panels. My bike will never be as beautiful as yours.

Back